Governor spring configuration B&S 252707 engine

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is for my 11 hp B&S ringing mower. The governor spring broke on this mower. The engine speed floats if I have the throttle anywhere, other than full and idle. I purchased a new spring, and hooked it up the way I thought it should go. One end on the carb's throttle lever, along with the rod, and the other end on the governor arm. This does not seem to accomplish anything, as the spring is pulling against itself. How is it supposed to go? The manual's diagram does not show where the spring attaches on the governor end. I am attaching a screenshot from my manual. My carb is the left side image.

Governor Linkage.jpg

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The spring goes to the govenor arm and the piece that moves with the control cable.

Mike C.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe you have it attached correctly.It seems counter-intuitive until you understand what it actually does.On a Honda,that would be known as a "fine regulating spring".All it's supposed to do is take all the slop out of the linkage so the engine doesn't "hunt".It's not really a "governor spring".

I haven't looked at one of those setups in a long time,but I believe the actual governor spring is in behind the linkage plate that's covering the governor arm in the drawing on the left.One end of this hidden spring should connect to the governor arm.

I have that same engine on a lawn tractor that is unfortunately buried under about two feet of snow right now.If it appears that I'm talking out of my arse,I may have to shovel it out and take a look,but I'm pretty sure that you have your spring connected correctly as that's exactly how it works on a Honda GX series,which I'm very familiar with.

Capture.JPG
Notice in the included drawing that the spring attaches to the same arm as the likage-it does the same on the carb end.

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore the remote throttle control linkage off, and found a coil spring underneath, that I believe is the real governor spring. It is stretched slightly, and has lost some of it's tension. I think this is the cause of my engine speed floating.