Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try to make this short. Got this 395 today from the son of an old friend who passed away
a few years ago. He was a great guy and we went through grade school together till life took
over with families etc. He happened to stop by my place a few years ago prior to his passing
and saw my collection of chainsaws and was quite intrigued. About a month later he stopped
by again and we talked then he said he wanted to by a chainsaw. I said, well what do you want
since he knew nothing about saws. I want a big one he said, i asked well what are you cutting.
Well low and behold he wanted a big saw to flex his testosterone to his buddies. So i made a
phone call to a friend @Spike60 who is a Husky dealer and bought a 395. He got the saw and
i fueled it up made a couple cuts and off he went happy as a pig in chit. A couple weeks go by
he came by and he couldn't get it started. Coil went bad. Bob @Spike60 sent me a new one and
off he went. While i was installing the coil we talked and i told him " Ya know we can really make
this thing rip by having it ported" he said in a loud voice, Lets do it. I made a call to a very known
porter who i trust @Mastermind and he said send it that i caught him at a good time. Saw came
back and i put the bar and chain on, gassed it up, a couple pulls and it popped, well he damn near
jumped out of his shoes, Said it never sounded like that. We made a couple cuts and off he went.
Couple years later he is gone. I now have his saw that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
RIP Russ You won't be forgotten.

IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1297.JPG IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1299.JPG

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try to make this short. Got this 395 today from the son of an old friend who passed away
a few years ago. He was a great guy and we went through grade school together till life took
over with families etc. He happened to stop by my place a few years ago prior to his passing
and saw my collection of chainsaws and was quite intrigued. About a month later he stopped
by again and we talked then he said he wanted to by a chainsaw. I said, well what do you want
since he knew nothing about saws. I want a big one he said, i asked well what are you cutting.
Well low and behold he wanted a big saw to flex his testosterone to his buddies. So i made a
phone call to a friend @Spike60 who is a Husky dealer and bought a 395. He got the saw and
i fueled it up made a couple cuts and off he went happy as a pig in chit. A couple weeks go by
he came by and he couldn't get it started. Coil went bad. Bob @Spike60 sent me a new one and
off he went. While i was installing the coil we talked and i told him " Ya know we can really make
this thing rip by having it ported" he said in a loud voice, Lets do it. I made a call to a very known
porter who i trust @Mastermind and he said send it that i caught him at a good time. Saw came
back and i put the bar and chain on, gassed it up, a couple pulls and it popped, well he damn near
jumped out of his shoes, Said it never sounded like that. We made a couple cuts and off he went.
Couple years later he is gone. I now have his saw that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

View attachment 303672 View attachment 303673 View attachment 303674 View attachment 303675

That was the first 395 I ever ported.

Rest in peace Russ.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 303672 View attachment 303673 View attachment 303674 View attachment 303675
It will last you a long time. The 395 was my first pro saw and out of all the saws I’ve owned it impressed me the most with its performance.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, The saw literally only made 5 or 6 cuts and did them here at my place.
He never ran it on his own. Russ was a really good guy but unfortunately he didn't
take care of himself the way he should have and ended up with a bad infection through
out his body caused by a non healing wound.

The saw will stay in new condition as long as i own it. It will make it to a gtg here and
there if we ever get any in the east again.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great story Lee! RIP Russ -- he sounded like one who would have enjoyed a GTG some time.

I haven't been on OPE in a long time (just so busy with kids and family stuff). I still manage to get out doing tree work every Saturday as my brother needs the help and swamped with tree jobs he does (he only does tree work Saturdays).

One kid off to school this week... the other one will be half way through high school soon. Once I'm empty nester I just might have more time to get back into some hobbies!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry about your bud .As far as tinkering on saws sometimes other things take priority or at least it's been that way for me . I've done exactly four in the last two years ,a pair of Makita concrete saws and a pair of Partner p-100's .Those I might add are 100 percent mechanically speaking with every part they came from the factory new including parts NLA I had to fabricate .Cosmetically when I'm completely done they will look brand new .

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry about your bud .As far as tinkering on saws sometimes other things take priority or at least it's been that way for me . I've done exactly four in the last two years ,a pair of Makita concrete saws and a pair of Partner p-100's .Those I might add are 100 percent mechanically speaking with every part they came from the factory new including parts NLA I had to fabricate .Cosmetically when I'm completely done they will look brand new .

if those were the concrete saws you got from me that has to be close to 7 years ago. I left Kentucky 5 years ago and I don’t think Gregg had a GTG in 2015.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are indeed and they run very well .One is complete but the other needs a pre filter that goes ahead of the main air filter .I've got one set up with a diamond blade for concrete and will do the other one with an abrasive blade for steel .I'll say this for only 73 cc's they have enough power .Judging by the metal fragments one had been used as a rail saw prior . Because this model has been discontinued OEM parts are not that easy to find .The newer models while being similar ae not exactly the same .I'll find the parts eventually .-----I might mention one had a damaged intake boot that the replacement was not exactly the same .I repaired the damaged boot with Loctite 401 which is o-ring glue which are buna-n same as the boot .