High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Got a reminder yesterday afternoon, why I hunt coyotes.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I started hunting coyotes every chance I got back in the 1990's. I had never seen a coyote here in SE Michigan where i live till 1992. I had seen them in the UPPER when I was hunting, fishing and snowmobileing but the lower never.
then about July 1992 I saw a coyote while driving down the road feeding on a road kill. then soon after heard them back in my woods and across the road in the woods there.
A neighbour reported them coming in the day lite and killing free rangeing chickens in his yard.

At that time Michigan for some reason had a Season on coyotes and you couldn't legaly hunt them from end of March till in September.
So I shot my first one while deer hunting muzzle loader season 1992 and seen several more.

Made a home made e caller early 1993 useing a MP3 player to hold sounds from Varmint al's web site
enhance

Friend from work, and a friend I met when we took my daughter to college and discovered we only live about 8 miles from each other became my coyote hunting partners.
From there the group grew to 12 then death started taking from the group till today we are down to 8.

So yesterday after noon walking my dogs down the same path I had walked them down in the Morning about 10:00 after the rain stopped I found a fresh lrft front shoulder from a fawn laying beside the path.
It appered Mom and baby were on the path the coyote came out of the brush and mom told baby to hide in the grass and she would try to draw the coyote off. that is how I read the deer tracks.
but the coyote didn't get drawn off and the poor fawn couldn't hide in the grass only about 5 inches tall.
Only thing left was that shoulder down to the hoof.

To late to get my gear back together last night but this afternoon I will be out calling the SOBin coyotes. I don't give. rip the hides look like gawd awful.

Haven't hered them singing in the evening or mornings as they most often do when in the area. Maybe they are learning their singing causes me to break out the call and shoot them?

Al

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They were dumb enough to reintroduce them here. Sure they control deer populations when you have way too many of them from eating livestock and pets. These are not wolves and don't act like wolves. They are scavengers like hyenas. We don't need them here... plenty of raptors on the on the NE flyway and small mammals to do clean up duty. Plus we have common flies, who knew.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well sat out with my 308 and the new load I made up useing the 165gr Serria HPBT game king bullets. Hides are not saleable now so wanted to try the bullet out on meat.

But no coyotes showed up for me to try the bullets on. Have a friend coming Saturday morning to go out with me.

Yes you can social distance while coyote hunting.

I my self do not understand why more don't hunt coyotes rather than pay to shoot at a range?

Have never been turned down when asking for permission to coyote hunt a farm.

Al

Last edited:

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Coyote hunting is difficult in my area off hills.
They circle down wind behind a knoll and catch your scent.
I've seen this from tracks in snow.
I've taken some but the spread between shots and hours spent is large.

Lightning who reintroduced coyotes?

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is one reason I try to set up where the coyotes have to travel a open space.
Most times how ever I hunt with a partner, we watch each others back so to speak.

We have lots of experince hunting coyotes. I know I spend way more time on coyotes than I do deer hunting.

Also find deer hunting way easier than coyotes.

Al

Last edited:

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My friend Eric called me thursday afternoon and said he could come Friday morning.
Arrived about 5:45 AM just light enough you could walk thru the woods and not stumble on a dead fall as we set out.

I sent Eric up north of the creek on the ridge nearly to the back line fence. we decided to set the callers up at the front edge of the woods seprated by about 50 yards.

I went down along the south side of the creek to the south east corner property line. Ploped my old fat butt down beside a big old oak tree and started the caller with the distressed piglet sound. Eric soon set the coyotes having a party sound going on his caller. About 20 minutes in I hear Eric's rifle go off, soon a coyote comes down to the creek and crosses coming my way.
I fired when it paused to look back. the shot caught it nearly square in the chest and blew half the left side away when the round started taking ribs out.

Those Serria 30 cal 165gr. HPBT's tear a coyote up at about 35 yards.

Al

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Coyote hunting is difficult in my area off hills.
They circle down wind behind a knoll and catch your scent.
I've seen this from tracks in snow.
I've taken some but the spread between shots and hours spent is large.

Lightning who reintroduced coyotes?

New Jersey...the intent was to reduce the Rodent with Antlers population...( deer) there are so many deer in my area that its killing farming not to mention cars. Seems as though the CoyDog population is the big winner in the State though as Wolves are few, Coyotes are few and lots of Coys are being misidentified as Coyotes.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is one reason I try to set up where the coyotes have to travel a open space.
Most times how ever I hunt with a partner, we watch each others back so to speak.

We have lots of experince hunting coyotes. I know I spend way more time on coyotes than I do deer hunting.

Also find deer hunting way easier than coyotes.

Al

Keep up the good work Al, as you know I do not like those varmints!

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had two dogs with hanging tongues out come thru the area I was working yesterday. No doubt in my mind they had been chaseing deer, am sure they are the same ones I saw about a month ago chase some deer across the road in front of rthe wife and I on our way home from town.

Trying to inform the sherriff dept and have the fellow who patrols the area who may know who they belong to do some thing with them.

OK I admit I got pissed and told the person on the phone I knew how to practice the 3 s's.

Al

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had two dogs with hanging tongues out come thru the area I was working yesterday. No doubt in my mind they had been chaseing deer, am sure they are the same ones I saw about a month ago chase some deer across the road in front of rthe wife and I on our way home from town.

Trying to inform the sherriff dept and have the fellow who patrols the area who may know who they belong to do some thing with them.

OK I admit I got pissed and told the person on the phone I knew how to practice the 3 s's.

Al

Yep!

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nicely done on the 'yotes.
Need to get started myself.
Used to have a couple of flocks of turkeys at our place numbering in the 25-40 range for each flock.
Saw them regularly until 3 years ago.
Getting two different pairs of coyotes on the trail cams the last two years and early this year . This spring gobbler season heard lots of barking/yipping early mornings.
Also have a pair of Fisher on the trail cam along with the occasional bobcat sighting.
Seeing 3 birds at the most around. Wondering if the new predators have anything to do with the turkey numbers tanking.

PA Plumber

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No recent coyote doubles on the camera cards I have at home.
Here are some fairly recent pictures.

Attachments

• coyote 3 2020.JPG
    coyote 3 2020.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 30
  • coyote 1a 2020.JPG
    coyote 1a 2020.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 26
  • fisher 2 2020.JPG
    fisher 2 2020.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 26

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will talk about the coyotes to start. Yes they clean up a lot of the little vermin like mice. But they also raid nest of song birds, turkeys, ducks and geese and other nesting game birds like phesants and partridges.

Once the eggs hatch the young are in danger of being a coyote meal till thay are able to evade them by flight, or swimming in th ecase of ducks and geese.

Then there are the fawns and other ground nesting critters like rabbits.

Hunting coyotes is far better practice than going to a range and shooting paper. You need to know field craft to be good at shooting coyotes as well as a good shot.

Al

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How will a nice Winchester Model 94 Carbine 30-30, loaded with 160 grain rounds do on the yotes?

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Same thing a worn out 94, 336, or other 160gr. 30-30 round. NO problem if your not wanting to sell the hides. At least you killed the coyote.

Al

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same thing a worn out 94, 336, or other 160gr. 30-30 round. NO problem if your not wanting to sell the hides. At least you killed the coyote.

Al
I got it.
I have no use or desire for the hides, merely to neutralize the threat.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If yiu just want to kill coytotes like I do then any rifle 22mag or bewtter will work.
How ever my self I would nbot go any lower than a center fire 22 like a 223.

Al