Gloves. Leather

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
3:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of gloves you boys run? Been using this type but they’re not exactly my favorite. A little loose and floppy feeling. Looking for something that holds up to picking up wood. Briars Etc. image.jpg

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what a lot of rigging crews wear here, mainly to protect from "Jaggers", which are shards of cable that stick out on the rigging:

I think they're made by White Ox and I've used the White Ox Gloves for tree work and they do good there.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For falling timber in the cooler wet months I wear Atlas Thermals, they give you good grip as well as dexterity and a little vibration damping. For summer I’ll wear the non thermal version or old standard white west coast loggers gloves like [mention]jacob j. [/mention] posted above from one of the local rigging shops.
65e01fa1a3b4ba0d676ad8857d19e5cb.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20211210_153931.jpg

another vote for Endura. I use these at work (Machinist) when I'm clearing/pulling metal chips out of parts & they are tough. I wear them when moving brush & splitting firewood as well, when I'm running saws I usually wear a thinner pair of impact style gloves.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gloves wear out much faster when processing firewood with certain wood species more so than with others. The two worst glove-destroying barks around my area are hackberry and ash. The deer love hackberry bark for cleaning velvet from their antlers but will usually accept ash bark as a substitute.

I enjoy making firewood with both hackberry and ash. So, my gloves never last long and the right glove wears out half again faster than the left. There are times when I wish I could have bought three gloves -- two rights and one left. However, I have never seen that option sold by any glove supplier.

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gloves wear out much faster when processing firewood with certain wood species more so than with others. The two worst glove-destroying barks around my area are hackberry and ash. The deer love hackberry bark for cleaning velvet from their antlers but will usually accept ash bark as a substitute.

I enjoy making firewood with both hackberry and ash. So, my gloves never last long and the right glove wears out half again faster than the left. There are times when I wish I could have bought three gloves -- two rights and one left. However, I have never seen that option sold by any glove supplier.
Yup, no matter the glove, thumb and trigger finger always wears out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For falling timber in the cooler wet months I wear Atlas Thermals, they give you good grip as well as dexterity and a little vibration damping. For summer I’ll wear the non thermal version or old standard white west coast loggers gloves like [mention]jacob j. [/mention] posted above from one of the local rigging shops.
65e01fa1a3b4ba0d676ad8857d19e5cb.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy the non-thermal blue Atlas gloves like this by the dozen. I will never buy another pair of leather gloves, for firewood, as long as I live. They are too expensive, uncomfortable, and don't last; I have worn holes in leather in one day before. The gloves above are/were about $25/dozen and last 50+ times longer than leather. They are also washable...

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy the non-thermal blue Atlas gloves like this by the dozen. I will never buy another pair of leather gloves, for firewood, as long as I live. They are too expensive, uncomfortable, and don't last; I have worn holes in leather in one day before. The gloves above are/were about $25/dozen and last 50+ times longer than leather. They are also washable...

Thomas you can wreck an anvil by noon so I’m not sure your recommendation is very valid. At work I either get the Milwaukee or the maxi flex and they do last a good long while I have yet to use them for firewood.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have had good luck with these, also come in winter glove. IMG_9157.JPG New pair, old pair had duct tape on them.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing I noticed about Kevlar gloves is that although they outlast about any other glove, they (1) are slippery and (2) have no insulating ability to fight the cold air.

Perhaps one reason I wear out gloves so fast is that I wear them when loading firewood logs onto the truck bed and when unloading them for stacking. Each truckload carries about 350 to 400 logs and I deliver 40 truckloads a year. That's a lot of handling in addition to the splitting and transporting of the rounds. So, I go through gloves like Grant went through Richmond.

Suggestion: Put a pair of work gloves on your list for Santa Claus to read.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually order my gloves from Uline, you get 3 pair and they have 4 different kinds of leather.
The cow hide and pig hide are pretty tough and for the warmer weather I like either goat or deer.
I have gotten the kevlar rubber coated ones before but the rubber melts in the SC heat.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
X2

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For firewood handling and processing I utilize some heavy duty thick double layer leather gloves.
When new they are tight, stiff and uncomfortable and need to be "broken in" - meaning I start using a new pair long before I wear out the previous one.
Once broken in those gloves are great, or so I think.
I found that the second outer leather layer can be cut off/removed which makes these gloves a lot more comfortable, but less durable.

Lately I started liking thin comfortable rubberized nitril gloves for handling my chainsaws, in addition to the Dolmar leather work gloves that I have been using for a couple years now.
The nitril gloves work OK for firewood handling too, but they offer poor puncture protection from stringy oak wood pieces.

I have no pictures of any gloves, I may take and post some later.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are another good choice for handling firewood. Unlike most guys here, I wear a hole in the ring finger and thumb first on any leather glove. These & the Showa ones last a good while

View attachment 319573
I use something similar….some kind of cut resistant glove they hand out at work.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm needing to try some of the Atlas Thermals or something similar. Leather never seems to hold up for me when handling / splitting wood. In the winter if there is snow on the wood, the leather gets soggy and cold real quick and when the leather is damp it gets holes way faster that when dry. I get the cheap 6 packs of gloves from HF for handling wood so I can change them as soon as they start getting wet. I hate them or any open cuff glove for running the saw though.
For running the saws I like a glove with a velcro closure at the wrist to keep chips out and I usually get the HF Hardy mechanics gloves for that, but they don't hold up well for handling wood. I like them when filing chains also.