High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Getting Ready To Rebuild An Old Sthil 024

trapper55

OPE Member
Local time
8:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am just about ready to start on my old Sthil 024 & give it new life all missing parts have been replaced by Farmertec I need to know a thing or two about getting the new crankshaft correctly centered I am a little nervous on that yet I want it to run & cut as it should I have replaced the crank , Piston & Cylinder Rings circlips new carb new oil & fuel lines what Sthil parts we still good I left them alone any tips will be a big help
And I also know that it may not go well but I am going to take my times I don't care if it takes me months to build it right am .I just am waiting till payday so I can get that set of crank tools that Dr. Matthew Olsen they are the best way to go & I am a greenhorn at putting a saw together but I am looking forward to all if it headaches & all Fellas on one side of the case halves where the crank bearing goes there is a small place that looks like a dent I will take a few pics & post them .Let me know what you fellas think replace it or use it I am not wanting any problems to arise because of this tiny little scratch or lite ding .

Attachments

• Sthil 024.jpg
    Sthil 024.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190731_033453.jpg
    20190731_033453.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190731_033510_LI.jpg
    20190731_033510_LI.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 23

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dent should be no issue, but the pics are terrible.

There is a way to do the install without the special tool. I have the tool, but if you plan on doing only one or two saws, I wouldn’t get one.

Your saw should have a metal oil pump.

When you’re all set up, do this.

Freeze crank in a ziplock overnight.

Knock alignment pins half way in, leaving them in the Fly side case. Just leave nubs sticking out to align gasket.

Heat up Fly side of case bearing pocket. It should get hot enough so that the case is uncomfortable to hold by an edge. Drop in bearing. Put the gasket in place. Take crank out of freezer and push it through the flyside bearing (make sure you put the correct side through). It will fall right in.

With oil pump in place, heat up the PTO side case bearing pocket the same way. Drop bearing in. The plastic bearing retainer should face you and the lipped outer portion should face oil pump. Let that sit for 2 min, so the bearing soaks up the heat. Then drop that entire assembly over the crank snout and towards the Fly side case. It should literally go together down to the pins. Use the case bolts to pull it all together. Make sure the gasket is all lined up before you send the bolts home.

Tap your pins back towards the PTO side when done, then tap the crack with a punch in the center (not direct with hammer) back and forth until it spins freely.

I have the crank tool, which is excellent, but I find myself doing it the way above most times. It’s faster and I am doing it all anyway. It’s just the order it’s done in that makes it easier.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another option .Freeze the crank ,heat the bearings up in oil ,install on the crankshaft .Freeze the whole thing again bearings installed .Do above mentioned heat the bearing pockets,put it together .I've done it both ways .
One more from a Stihl manual .If it has metal retainers,not plastic you can install the bearing in the case halves and use a big old soldering iron to heat the inner races and install the frozen crankshaft .It works well but I personally would not try it on plastic retainers .
What ever you do don't loose your cool and get to thumping on it with a big hammer .Something obviously is not heated up enough .If you spall the bearing eventually sooner or later it will fail .

trapper55

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy that set of crank tools that Dr. Matthew Olsen sells I have been watching his videos of him using the tools & I have a little repair shop I do chainsaw work only so these tools will come in handy.
Hey I thank ya'll for helping me I will post updates as I go along on my little Sthil 024

stihlcuttin8989

New OPE Member
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is old but helpful! I am also rebuilding an 024 AVS.