High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Generator storage

Tjstampa

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a brigs and sraton generator. It was last used in Hurricane Irma where I changed the oil daily. After use I ran the tank dry and changed the oil with Briggs. And Stratton 10w30 oil. Do I need to change the oil every couple of years without use or just leave the clean oil in the unit. It has been in an air conditioning room as the spot for it in the garage got taken up by the kids bikes. I plan on a test run in the next month or so.

You all know a lot more about small engines than I do.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a brigs and sraton generator. It was last used in Hurricane Irma where I changed the oil daily. After use I ran the tank dry and changed the oil with Briggs. And Stratton 10w30 oil. Do I need to change the oil every couple of years without use or just leave the clean oil in the unit. It has been in an air conditioning room as the spot for it in the garage got taken up by the kids bikes. I plan on a test run in the next month or so.

You all know a lot more about small engines than I do.
Personally I change the oil after each use
If it's more than 6 hour's.
My 4000 watt is at least 12 year's old.
As often as you changed oil you should be fine storing it with fresh oil.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I'm not working in the garage at work, Im out in the field with the guys doing construction work. We mainly run the Honda 3000 inverter generators to run stuff like saws, hammers, lights, etc.. The generators run usually 7-8 hours a day. 5-6 days a week. I think i've seen the oil changed in them once in the last year. I definitely understand that this is very abusive, as we usually only get 2-3 years out of them. But their demise is usually getting busted, run over, over heated, and occasionally we will get one that throws a bearing. All that said, It's not a super duper big deal to change the oil that regularly on generators. As long as you pay attention to the fuel peckoc and the carb float and don't let it fill the oil full of gas. And check the oil before each use. If you run it with bad oil, thats how they get trashed out. If you check before each use, and the oil still looks good, I would feel comfortable using one of my personal generators maybe 100-200 hours before changing the oil. Or once a year if they don't get that much use. If they don't get used, I see no need in changing the oil at any interval.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once a year for me. Unless i need to run it for a long time for a power outage. Mine just gets used once in a while. Only put 25 hours on it in 3 years. And that was mostly on a camping trip last year.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

John235

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. I change oil once a year. Or until I use it. If not used in a year I drain gas and run it in lawn mower. I always keep it full of gas and stabizer. Mainly so when we get a power outage it’s full and ready to go. Also I run the carb dry with fuel shut of. It’s been 10 years and still starts 1 pull and she’s on original carb kit.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Yamaha 6600 is only 22 years old, longest constant run time was 6 days straight, gets used several times a year due to power outages. Change oil once a year and drain carb after each use.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on the topic of storing generators. Is it a good idea to leave them outside. I just aquired another and was thinking of building a little wood box around it or maybe under the leantoo where my boat is.
I just dont have the room to keep it in my shed.
4901d124b8fb79e89428df73005a583a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would make sure it was off the ground, kept dry and has good ventilation. Generac and the like are outside off the ground and covered. See a person that leaves his outside covered with a tarp, would not expect that one to last long, ground moisture cannot be good for them.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would make sure it was off the ground, kept dry and has good ventilation. Generac and the like are outside off the ground and covered. See a person that leaves his outside covered with a tarp, would not expect that one to last long, ground moisture cannot be good for them.

I've got a bad habit of leaving generators out in the parking lot for extended periods of time. Here lately I've started covering them with a piece of plastic or a tarp just so they dont get sun bleached. I mean in the long run, like 2 or three years at a time, the frames will rust and the generator block will start to corrode, but it really isn't too awful on them to stay out for a few months at a time. Ive got an old champion gas generator thats been outside with the same fuel sitting in it, uncovered for 5+ years. Cranked on it the other day and it fired up 3rd pull. I was absolutely shocked. Oil looked good, ran fine, gas looked and smelled like sheet. And the tank and plastics are pretty discolored. But it still runs. Generators are alot tougher than people give them credit for. They will be fine outside as long as rats don't build nests in them and water doesn't get in them. You always run the risk of the actual generator part getting messed up by moisture but unless your sticking it in a controlled environment like your house, it's still going to be subject to moisture damage. Like previously stated, keep an eye on fuel lines, filters, and the carb getting junked up, other than that, give em hell

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone has different experiences with equipment. Father-in-law owned a Dodge power wagon since new, never changed oil, only the filter and added oil when it was low. Truck had over 200,000 on it. I borrowed it to re-shingle grandmothers garage. Thought it would be a good gesture to change trucks oil and filter, did not have to loosen drain plug, wiped pan and it was self-draining. After replacing oil pan, gaskets, oil and filter it was good to go. People can leave their equipment outside, never maintain it, abuse it, not my problem. I did not pay for it, but that Yamaha 6600 seemed expensive to me and will try to maintain it the best I can. Some have said I over maintain my equipment, that's ok because I never asked them to pay for it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
More than a foot off the ground in a direct sunlight free environment with some air movement helps with moisture not building up. A dog hose with a gable vent on twelve inch block ain't a bad idea. A flip open tilt roof lets it stay dry during bad weather runs. Door like open front wall and a mini deck or ramp makes life pretty easy. Wish I had one ;)
Mine has a sheet of plywood on it right now to keep it and the dirt dry underneath. Just sitting on blocks but needs some new sneakers. Airplane fuel is good for long term storage. Ours gets used more than once a year for this or that and power outages during bad storms so no need for it.​

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im thinking about building a little wooden shed for my mowers to free up valuable garage space. Not really even a garage, just something with three sides and slanted shingle roof to keep the weather off them. This is what my grandparents always did and they never had any problems.