GCV190 cam belt slip off

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have GCV190 Honda engine on husqv mower i bought new from lowes few years ago. Engine has been fine, my neighbor uses mower and i know it was nothing he could have done at least I don't think? If he did I would really be surprised. He used it and put it away having had no problems. Went to use it last weekend, pulled it out of the shed and would not start. I looked at it, found it had no compression, pulled valve cover tin off and found the cam belt off the plastic cam wheel; and the cam was positioned holding the intake valve open which explained the no compression along with blowing a little bit of gas back out the carb into the air filter after repeated pulls and swear words.

so my question is, how common is it for the belt to pop off on a GCV 190, or 160 or similar engine? The belt looks fine and seems to fit fine back onto cam, and the belt doesn't show any signs of being excessively loose or stretched or anything. And the cam wheel looks fine and fits snug with it's pin holding it. What would cause the belt to pop off like it did?
I've pulled a GCV engine apart before, already have it on my bench. Was figuring on just mail ordering a new belt for < $20, wondering if there's anything else worth doing while having the case apart.

Last edited: