g395 & ms361 "Farmertec" Power at work

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another tree job done, used a couple of Farmertec's to do this one. The ms361 has been a major PITA but finally my son and I got motivated and solved most of its issues. The g395, pretty much "right " out of the box. May be their best offering yet.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know your channels focus is a little bit different than what years past were but I'd love to see where you could take those saws !

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was gonna run one of them I’d send it to @srcarr52 first for a health checkup and maybe a warmup :D

Love my 395, had it a long time, first pro saw. Second only to my 3120 in power of course…but a bit heavy to swing around much.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why send it anywhere? I think the attraction to these saws is more the low cost low risk platform to grow skills and build a machine that is all about your skills vs. something to throw money at for someone else to grow theirs :)

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why send it anywhere? I think the attraction to these saws is more the low cost low risk platform to grow skills and build a machine that is all about your skills vs. something to throw money at for someone else to grow theirs :)

You wouldn't have to send the whole saw. Just the piston and cylinder after you measure the squish.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point. In that case, I’d pull it apart and check timing, look for plating flaws, etc.. Running a machine shop, I have more experience with this stuff than the average guy, but I’m sure there is more I don’t know, which is my motivation for having a saw pro check it out. Same reason I don’t port my saws. I definitely have the ability, but I don’t want to spend the time to get the experience to make them as good as they can be. Also, I’d rather run them than work on them. If I was to want to build a saw and my skills, I would rather start with a used OEM saw like I did with my 288 and rebuild than new imported stuff…you’d probably have more experience on which way might be more expedient.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suspect the piston diameter is off. So I think Ill pro-act a bit and pull it apart measure and if my speculation is correct swap in another piston. As a retired mechanical/manufacturing/software designer for the CAD/CAM industry - engineer, I can go into layer after layer of (over) analysis but there is a point of diminishing returns. So as with the theme of the channel has been from the beginning, I'll do that and use empirical data to determine success or failure... my ears...... if its quieter and continues to run its a success. Kind of like a weather brick. :)

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think thats the big attraction for me also , I ran a factory 372xp and thought it would be fun to see what a ported clone could do without messing up a good oem one. It went well for me and I learned alot researching the opinions of others.
Same with my clone 090 Stihl ,no way in hell would I take a dremel to an original! But I got my knock off for 60.00 from Craigslist. I had to send the cylinder out to be shaved because not alot of people had the 66mm plug.
I have a hard time grinding on originals because its hard to improve on a good design in my mind. Messing around with a cheap saw has definitely given me more confidence to work on quality stuff also.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You wouldn't have to send the whole saw. Just the piston and cylinder after you measure the squish.

Actually I don't need to send anything anywhere as I have the capability to measure divide multiply add subtract and otherwise calculate and quantify the results :) But I do appreciate the offer.

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think thats the big attraction for me also , I ran a factory 372xp and thought it would be fun to see what a ported clone could do without messing up a good oem one. It went well for me and I learned alot researching the opinions of others.
Same with my clone 090 Stihl ,no way in hell would I take a dremel to an original! But I got my knock off for 60.00 from Craigslist. I had to send the cylinder out to be shaved because not alot of people had the 66mm plug.
I have a hard time grinding on originals because its hard to improve on a good design in my mind. Messing around with a cheap saw has definitely given me more confidence to work on quality stuff also.

Same here. I remember doing the first one as a joke! A Spoof. Kids were doing a puzzle and I thought it would be fun to do a "mechanical" puzzle. SO did a video of a bunch of purchased parts blended into a saw. Didn't widely post it but somehow some folks from the pacific rim found it and next thing I know they were asking about the concept of parts repair kits. A bunch of more "official" folks in parallel got involved as the concept became reality. The rest is history. THEN a while later I posted my first 660 build video. The concept of those things were about education for me in the beginning. The community that has grown up thru the kits saw fad is SO much more mechanically "literate" than the prior group who just sucked up all the experts pontification on how many times a charge of air passes over a carb jet based on the case, transfer port, and intake port volume. MOST of the folks who participated are now excellent "practical" saw mechanics with a sound understanding of the mechanics involved and deal at a different level than typical "consumers" of services. They will argue about case splitting, beating replacement and assembly techniques vs. the surface finish the promotes the best flow ( then send the saw out for someone else to put in ceramic bearings & a forged piston with a coating) . That kit saw thing now has a life of its own. NEVER ever imagined it would go that way as I saw them as toys. And in that spirit I deal with these ones like the g395. Toys to be evolved into tools....for fun. And to get folks to learn along the way to be more self sufficient. But have to say my favorite saw to tinker with is this yugo l66/77 blend made in the 1970's. Once I get done working the 395 into a useful saw with simple tools u can buy at Lowes and off the shelf (eBay/HLsupply) parts, I'll go back to my antiques. That's where my heart is with saws anymore as I work thru another set of "residential" saw/tree removal jobs and logging another 100 acres.

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@afleetcommand does anyone flare or knurl pistons for small engines like larger 4 strokes?

That's actually an idea that might work. Usually for a lower RPM application with longer skirts but why not try? The thing about these saws is they have an "over square" configuration. ( Square being bore roughly - stroke ) Saws have a much larger bore relative to stroke than most other things we have dealt with in the past, especially the diesel types. Along with a short rod tends to want to rock that piston. Outboards do as well but run a much lower RPM. Dirt bikes usually are pretty "square" typically. SO per rpm the piston "speed" relative to the cylinder wall is less per RPM...used to be a rule of thumb where a given surface ft per minute of piston speed relative to the cylinder wall was a design parameter as too much begins to push the limits of lubricant's.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could the FT piston also be made of too soft of an alloy?I like the knurling idea, it might hold oil better too.

They are sending me another piston. As you saw I put a VEC ( Lil red barn ) popup in there. It runs well and vibrates less. My dilemma is when I DO get another piston, do I put it in and test it?? Or just leave the popup. Reason is Most who get these saws are going to tweak them and "off the shelf" hop ups are the most common. Maybe I buy another and test/measure etc. Really like that saw so it's worth investing time even parts into.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One thing FT seems to do right is make pistons on the lighter side. Did you compare the weight of the LRB piston? I know Hyway pistons are as overweight as their cylinders.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about mic-ing the bore n piston?
I love my 395 but she heavy. I’m not as burly as you though Walt.