Fun with my 372

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, Got some Grandpa Joe money to spend. I'm looking into having some fun with something other then bills. I'm watching Mr. Olson do his 200T build atm. He says a HD12B is a great choice. I'm looking for opinions. Also, if any other parts are needed, like air filters, carb bolts or something, let me know if you can. I have a spare 385/390 carb as well as a 395 carb and choke lever sitting in my collection atm. This 372XP is my fun saw and I do do a lot of work with it. And I plan on keeping both traditions alive.

Thank you in advance.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just started a 372 kit and I haven't done much to it. I've temporarily assembled the bottom end, put the cylinder on it and checked the numbers (may have ground on something that would void the warranty). I then disassembled it, put some good bearings in it I got from Dave......and that's as far as I got.

I am changing all the bearings, crankshaft, and cylinder.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, Got some Grandpa Joe money to spend. I'm looking into having some fun with something other then bills. I'm watching Mr. Olson do his 200T build atm. He says a HD12B is a great choice. I'm looking for opinions. Also, if any other parts are needed, like air filters, carb bolts or something, let me know if you can. I have a spare 385/390 carb as well as a 395 carb and choke lever sitting in my collection atm. This 372XP is my fun saw and I do do a lot of work with it. And I plan on keeping both traditions alive.

Thank you in advance.
You might have trouble with the AM carb, I've had four of those kits and on a couple of them it was impossible to tune the low side.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might have trouble with the AM carb, I've had four of those kits and on a couple of them it was impossible to tune the low side.
I've only only ever had coil problems. Once you get past the fng errors. But a few missing peices of hardware is normal. Until my current 200T build. I was missing a worm gear. And the dig bone thing in the chain break was oddly missing a post. That's been it, for this year.

I've been wanting to do a 395 carb swap. But cant seem to pin down exactly what gets replaced. I'll keep searching. My google hasn't been to nice to me.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've put a 390 carb on one, I think I used a 390 flange and turned the 372 boot, you have to cut that part of the boot off that the impulse runs through. I didn't see any gains with it over the 372 carb. I did see some gains on my ported 372 xtorq when I put a 390 carb on it.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seriously only want to do this as a "fun" thing. Gain experience and what not. At best I was hopping for some torque if possible. That's it. This one is the one that I have fun with. All my others are work saws.

So, 390 carb and flange. Carb bolts the same? Air filter and holder? I'm assuming a high top top?

Seriously, thanks for any info. It's mostly Stihl sold around my parts and Huskies are actually more rare then Poulan. I don't have squat for spare parts to try with. So I'll have to order aftermarket or online OEM parts.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seriously only want to do this as a "fun" thing. Gain experience and what not. At best I was hopping for some torque if possible. That's it. This one is the one that I have fun with. All my others are work saws.

So, 390 carb and flange. Carb bolts the same? Air filter and holder? I'm assuming a high top top?

Seriously, thanks for any info. It's mostly Stihl sold around my parts and Huskies are actually more rare then Poulan. I don't have squat for spare parts to try with. So I'll have to order aftermarket or online OEM parts.
I don't exactly remember what all was needed and I don't want to steer you wrong so I'll let someone else answer what you'll need.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thank you in advance.
I've built many oem and china 371/372s
One of the strongest is
The hyway 372bb kits with a
@Poleman modified dolmar 7900 carb
It's nearly as strong as my ported 372s
With 24" bar's.
Just a drop in cylinder kit
I didn't modify anything.