Fuel storage, metal can or plastic

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am thinking about switching to 100LL av gas for my 2 smoke equipment. Was wondering if plastic cans are ok for long term storage or would I be better to look for an old metal gas can. Ther are lots of old metal boat motor gas cans for sale on market place i could get.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am thinking about switching to 100LL av gas for my 2 smoke equipment. Was wondering if plastic cans are ok for long term storage or would I be better to look for an old metal gas can. Ther are lots of old metal boat motor gas cans for sale on market place i could get.

You want an Army can made of high quality steel.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use plastic 2.5G Rubbermaid or Gott plastic but never mix more than two gallons and it's gone in a year or so. Only for storage.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Metal can for long term storage and high volume!
I have a 20 liter military can my dad got at an auction decades ago.

Plastic can for immediate and occasional usage.
This is exactly what I do. Put what I need for the day in my plastic piggy back can, any extra I have left over goes in metal can. I only keep fuel mixed for round a month though.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I use plastic cans that have a special liner that prevents off gassing through the can.

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was to store fuel in a metal can, I would make sure it was completely full. Anything metal seems to me like it would sweat
Good point. I don't like leaving them empty either. Like to leave few hundred mls just to slosh around and dump if it's sat for a while

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is exactly what I do. Put what I need for the day in my plastic piggy back can, any extra I have left over goes in metal can. I only keep fuel mixed for round a month though.
I only mix as much as I need at a given time, 1-2 liters the most.

If I was to store fuel in a metal can, I would make sure it was completely full. Anything metal seems to me like it would sweat
Good point. I don't like leaving them empty either. Like to leave few hundred mls just to slosh around and dump if it's sat for a while
Yes, my metal can is filled to the rim.
I make it a point to use up the fuel every year or so and get fresh gas into it.
It is not too difficult to use up 20 liters of fuel with over a dozen small to medium sized OPE.

For year round usage I utilize two 5 liter plastic cans which get refilled as needed.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After using a Justrite Accuflow several years ago I bought several. They Type 1 has a funnel attached and the Type 2 is a metal hose. I have four Type 2's for diesel, gas, and premix. I'll probably grab another one for gas and another for diesel. The premix goes into a one gallon can and it works fairly well for filling the saws.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would not use Avgas, it is the last remaining transportation fuel to use lead. When used in a chainsaw you are just breathing in all those lead fumes as they exit the muffler. If your equipment uses a cat the lead will quickly ruin it. Don't ever put it in a car with a cat because just a few tanks of leaded fuel will destroy it, I'm sure OPE is even faster. Just get some unleaded race gas and call it a day.

Nolan

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You can use high quality metal or steel can for storage

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big 5 gallon racing fuel jugs with non-EPA spout setup from Racing Supply Store, bout $60, doesn't seem to swell or contract in weather, good two handle system for actual control during pouring. No dumb gimmicks. They have metal ones but they are $$$.$$

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Big 5 gallon racing fuel jugs with non-EPA spout setup from Racing Supply Store, bout $60, doesn't seem to swell or contract in weather, good two handle system for actual control during pouring. No dumb gimmicks. They have metal ones but they are $$$.$$
The good stuff was never cheap DD but you knew that already.

unknwn

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Might be a little off-topic- My JD 935 w/diesel powerplant instructs specifically to NOT use metal fuel receptacles with galvanized interior for their machines. From what I can gather, the high degree of zinc in galvanized containers will leech into the diesel fuel and create problems for injectors and pump - the LAST thing you'd want to do to a diesel-fueled machine.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My plastic cans have been splitting, especially in the handle. I have decided I am going to start trying the old Jerry style cans. SinceBlitz went out of business, you can no longer find a good quality inexpensive made in the USA plastic gas can, imho. $0.02

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sold on the Eagle Safety Can, been using them for years and the design is unchanged. As far as plastic cans go, the Easy Pour are really good. It's the only one I've ever seen where you can easily adjust fuel flow down to a trickle.