S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good evening everyone.
Some of you may know me, most probably not. For the ones that don't know me, I have a small saw shop based out of a detached shop on my property. As of right now it's something I do in the evenings and weekends. I do a lot of rebuilds from the bare cases up. I also do cylinder machining, porting, custom muffler mods, timing advanced, oil pump mods, and other odds and ends stuff. Up to this point i have kept busy with local loggers in my area and have flipped a lot of saws I have gone through on eBay.
When it comes to the porting aspect I have dabbled in it for several years and taken my time to try my best to fully understand 2 stroke theory. I have been pretty limited to porting what local loggers are bringing me. I have gotten pretty good results out of the Dolmar 7900/7910, Stihl 460/461, 044/440, husky 385/390. That's the most of what local guys are using and bringing me.
So with the permission of Randy (Mastermind) I am going to offer you guys on the forum free saw rebuilds and/or porting. This is in an effort to help you gents out but mostly for myself to gain more experience in porting and machine work.
I'm only going to take on one or two saws at a time. This doesn't mean I'm going to be purchasing whatever parts your saw may need. You'll be responsible for purchasing whatever parts you particular build requires but I'll do the labor end of it for free and if you'd like document the progress on your saw as I go through it.
The cylinder and parts doesn't have to be oem but hopefully not eBay garbage either.

Just keep in mind that I'm no where near the porter/builder as Randy or any of the other amazing guys we have on this forum. I get better with every saw I do though.

Some basic guidelines for now....
-prefer to not tackle strato saw for right now.
-No Clamshells saws
-I build work saws. If you are wanting something crazy with ports, that's not me.
-No brand new, high dollar saws. I don't want to risk cutting my teeth on your new $1500 saw.
-Stihl, Husky/Jonsered, Dolmar/Makita only for right now.
-you will be responsible for shipping and parts cost. I don't want to cost myself money just gain knowledge.
-I maybe fairly new to this but I always have and always WILL stand behind my work. If I put your saw together and it comes apart prematurely I WILL fix it on my dime.

If anyone is interested just send me a message on here and we can work out the particulars.

Attachments

• 20240327_124903.jpg
    20240327_124903.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240314_181119.jpg
    20240314_181119.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240506_174132.jpg
    20240506_174132.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240314_204805.jpg
    20240314_204805.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240313_095625.jpg
    20240313_095625.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an interesting proposition. You might limit this to say like, the first few takers or something. I could see you quickly getting overwhelmed.
It's going to be very limited and first come, first serve. I'm only going to be taking on maybe 2 or 3 saws at a time. As I get those done I will take on the next in line. This is just something I do after I get off work everyday running a construction crew. So it won't be a lightening fast turn around time either. I'll do my best to get them done and back out though. I just feel like I've gone as far as I can with this locally and until I get a little more experience don't want to start cutting on people's brand new high dollar saws.

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This seems like a very generous offer. I will ask so maybe it will help you some. Is there any saws in particular you would like to work with maybe someone will have one kicking around?
Not really any particular models I'm looking for. Just looking to get some more experience on my lathe cutting squish bands and a few more saws under my belt.

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about just cutting cylinders? I have a couple I need machined on both the squish band and base.
It's almost impossible for me to do that without have the whole saw to get the squish all set. I've you wanted to send me the lower end, piston and cylinder I can get it done I'm sure.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's almost impossible for me to do that without have the whole saw to get the squish all set. I've you wanted to send me the lower end, piston and cylinder I can get it done I'm sure.

I already have my own measurements and know exactly what I need taken out of the squish and off the base.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright guys. I've got my first few saws lined up I believe. I'll post here when I'm ready for more. Thank you everyone for your interest.
I really like how you are going about this and wish you luck on your venture(s). :)

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like the first 3 members to send me saws of their choosing are going to be....
-ErnieG
-Woodslasher
-Dolmarkid
What model saws are they?

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to get in on your next list if possible. I have a 340 if you want to put a 346 top end and port. Let me know down the road.