TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
3:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, it's time for me to get some new boots for logging. On tree jobs I typically wear hikers but during logging season I defer to my actual logging boots.

For years I have purchased Chippewa "Super Logger" boots. This past pair has not lasted like I expected given that I only wear them for 4-6 months time total in a year and they are 2 years old. I always treated them and took care of them (all of my boots). At almost 300 dollars with tax I feel like they should last longer, perhaps I am being unreasonable.

So the thing of it is: what have your experiences with boots been? What brand and model do you use? Should i just buy another pair of what I had? I've been hearing lots of good things about the new Timberland PRO logger.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the best thing you can do to make your boots last longer is to buy two identical pairs and swap them every day. Obviously there's more upfront cost, but I think each pair lasts more than twice as long. Letting them dry out naturally (not on a heater) and rest between uses really makes a different in my experience.

As far as which brand, I can't really comment. I'm happy in my USA made Red Wings right now, but I got them on the clearance rack at Madsen's. Don't think I'd be as happy if I paid retail. Nick's, Wescos, White's are all supposed to be great, but they're too rich for my blood. Might be different if I worked in them every day.

Bmezz88

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I own a pair of Nicks, Whites, Wescos, and Drews Linecutters. Out of all of them, Nicks Hotshots takes the cake. Pretty expensive boots but IMO well worth the money, and the wait to have them built. If your not willing to wait or pay that much, check out Drews Linecutters. Not as expensive and they are still rebuildable. They do run big though so make sure to contact any of those boot makers to get sized to your foot. The Wescos do run true to size.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just switched from Carolina Loggers to Chippewa USA Loggers, the better ones. I will see hiw they do.
I must admit that I got over 3 years in tje Carolina Loggers, but I found out they were made in China. I wasn't to thrilled, so I did more research and bought USA made boots. My first impression is they really look heavy duty. Real good quality leather, and soles look good.
Time will tell.
Size 12 EEE

Bmezz88

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a pair of Georgia Loggers that just won't die. Ive had them for almost 4 years! Not a bad boot for $120 but not the greatest in terms of support. Very thin leather compared to the Nicks.

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a pair of lace to toe Irish Setters that have lasted longer than any other boot I've owned. This is the fourth summer two of which I wore them daily, now I rotate. Used to buy wolverine durashock religiously until they decided to only make steel toe but they'd only last 10-12 months.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a pair of Hoffman and Chippewa. Chippewa are probably 10 years old now. Hoffman's are 6 or so. I only wear them cutting wood and mowing so probably less than 30 days a year.

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nicks. 7 fire seasons with 40# pack in acidic ash. Like slippers

http://www.shoestoboot.com/category.cfm/425
If you have a govt email. They have another site and cheaper.

Whites jumpers also
8fbe96d6b99fd7cdc341d400724034cf.jpg
d01a8cc696e2381a233ee87eedec399e.jpg

Chip's quality went way down

Haix also makes boots and sometimes have seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends on what type of boot you want. If you want a high heel, logging/fire type boot, I like Nicks or certain Whites. Some whites aren't built in the USA. We found that out on some contract boots we were issued.

For all around use I love Danners. The elk hunters are my go to, but I also have a pair of their fire boots and all my duty boots are Acadias or Ft. Lewis. Danner has moved most of their line overseas as well. So search for USA made ones.

I agree with letting boots dry naturally and wearing another pair if possible while they do so.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless it changed Hoffman made Madsens house brand boots as well. They run about the same as a red wing size wise.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends on what type of boot you want. If you want a high heel, logging/fire type boot, I like Nicks or certain Whites. Some whites aren't built in the USA. We found that out on some contract boots we were issued.

For all around use I love Danners. The elk hunters are my go to, but I also have a pair of their fire boots and all my duty boots are Acadias or Ft. Lewis. Danner has moved most of their line overseas as well. So search for USA made ones.

I agree with letting boots dry naturally and wearing another pair if possible while they do so.

Whats with the high heel on some of those logging boots?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats with the high heel on some of those logging boots?
Not sure, but they are handy on steep ground. I've always worn them on firelines. It takes some getting used to if you don't wear them often. I tried a pair of Danner tactical wildland firefighters for a short time. They weren't worth a crap on firelines we put in. They are great for prescribed burns on flat land.