High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ford 1710 Repair

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm looking to help a friend put this back into service to take care of 5 or so acres. I don't have
any diesel experience, fair amount of small engine and gas background. Has been sitting 10 years, looters took battery and radiator. Other than replacing the missing parts and draining / filling fluids, what should we expect? Any sort of maintenance on the fuel system (other than draining the tank)? Also not sure where the ground/negative battery cable goes to. Turned it over with a wrench no problems there.

For the radiator and maybe even the wires I was thinking there might be a salvage yard for tractors somewhere instead of new parts (Kansas City area) would have to call around I'm sure.

Also have a Massey-Furgeson MH-50 (that appears to be converted to gas) and old red Ford (Dearborn Michigan origin) available, both have been sitting 20+ years and have wiring damage. I assume the 1710 is our best bet at least to start out.

IMG_1103.jpg IMG_1104.jpg IMG_1105.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 18

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 8

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Filters. Don't forget to replace the filters. Before I spent any money on the missing parts, I would like to hear it run, make sure it has oil pressure, 3 point and power steering work, and so on. Best way to acess this situation. I do this on the side for people. Tractor sits in the woods for years then they bring me a dead tractor and a wad of cash. I give them a happy tractor!

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ahh yes filters. At lest this one has been in a barn, the woods would be rough. Fuel, oil and hydraulic should cover it? Can the hydraulics wait until other stuff is fixed, or does it need to be changed before running? Would you just rig something to run water through the water pump for the test run (bucket and hose)? Is it OK to test run it with the old oil and hydraulic fluid (provided levels are adequate), or is that step 1?

Oh and this runs off 12v right? I'd hate to jump a 6v system with 12v :eek:

Thanks for the advice Steve!

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is 1710 offset 2wd. 12v and the neg bat grounds on the side of bat tray. Neg cable is braided brass. I need a battery hold down.
When I got it it had sat. I dumped the water from condensation in the filters, topped it off, before I first fired it, then after confirming it was good I did fluids.
Then tires and rims, (rust from calcium)
Still need to change hydro fluid.
Jap motor purrs nice.
I put a few hours on it yesterday.
It is real low hours.
Turn key to left until light on dash lights saying glow plug ready, then fire it up. Seat belt has to be hooked up, must be in neutral. Give it some throttle.
At first the rattle may spook you, its diesel.
Low end grunt out the whazoo, it will wheelie when hooked up heavy and you kick the differential lock up lol.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ahh yes filters. At lest this one has been in a barn, the woods would be rough. Fuel, oil and hydraulic should cover it? Can the hydraulics wait until other stuff is fixed, or does it need to be changed before running? Would you just rig something to run water through the water pump for the test run (bucket and hose)? Is it OK to test run it with the old oil and hydraulic fluid (provided levels are adequate), or is that step 1?

Oh and this runs off 12v right? I'd hate to jump a 6v system with 12v :eek:

Thanks for the advice Steve!

You will only be running it a minute or two. That will not hurt anything. Diesels use fuel as a throttle so it takes them forever to warm up at low speeds and low loads.

Yes, like 5155 said, check levels and drain off any water that may have accumulated. Put some fresh diesel in the tank. You may have to crack the lines at the injectors and crank the engine to purge the old fuel from the pump.

Remember to have the air cleaner removed from the engine and have a 2x4 close by when you first try to start it. If you have a run away you will have to cut air from the engine to shut it down. You most likely won't need it but it's good practice on diesels that have sat for a very long time.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That Ferguson 50 is a really good tractor. Parts are cheap and easy to come by, too.