Flat files in general

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a lot of files working on shafts that get chewed up Replace a ton of bearings that see hell on no till grain drills and all sorts of other *s-word. There is so many on some machines you'd be damn lucky to catch them all before the cutter just falls off. It's sorta uneconomic to change a shaft just because it gets the hell chewed out of it. I have good luck with Nicholson files Are there any better than that. I typically use the ol bastard file 99 percent of the time Really looking to remove a lot of material fairly fast you fellas have any suggestions on what I could buy Brand name? Different type of file? They basically need to be a good long flat file so I can get to town on somthimg most folk would throw away Where the hell is ol man can't when you be needin a question such as this answered???

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a lot for my pea sized brain philbert

Don't read it all at once: 'file' some of it for later . . . .

Seriously, some good information in there on selecting files for different uses, and choosing between similar types.

Philbert

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a side note: I made a 'safe edge' file out of a cheapo 6" from Menards to do rakers. Took my 7" disc grinder to it.

It didn't last for squat. I'll try a Nicholson next time.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know I just dig through the drawers until I find one that suites the job. Locksmith file,little bastard file,big bastard file,horse hoof rasp,lead file,mill file ,half round ,triangle,thread file whatever.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a craftsman file with a sleeve that read lifetime warranty.Always kept it in the sleeve come time it wore out took it back to get muh new file.The sears workers says we carry no warranty on files I said B.S. look right hear read this.He was dumbfounded told me he could not exchange it we went around.Then he said no longer make craftsman so I said that's okay watch you got.We have a nicholson cool that will work I said grabed it Made in Mexico DAM no more in the good ol U.S.A.I told him bought the original because of the warranty taking my sleeve with me and will be back when it wears out.

Last edited:

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use them a lot on the lathe double cut to rough in rough single cut get close fine single cut to smooth up sand paper to finish. If I get rusty ones at garage sale clean them with battery charger deruster. If still dull give them to local knife maker.