(First Post) porting help

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi, first post. I've been trying to learn how to port a saw and I've had some good luck with a couple of small saws I've done but I haven't had the best of luck with the 372/2171 saws. The two I've done ran good and strong but just didn't have the high rpm I was looking for. Right now I'm working on a 2165. First I tried to port a used 372 cylinder with a 266 pop up piston. It ran good but just didn't have the rpm. So I tried cutting on it a little more and ended up ruining it. Next I tried porting a 52mm BB, it's on the saw now, Someone on another site gave me some numbers to try and I used those. The saw runs pretty good but it just doesn't have the higher rpm I want. The port timing as it stands now is, exhaust 101, intake 80, transfers 121. the exhaust an intake was widened and the lowers was gasket matched. The compression is at 205psi cold, I cut the base, and it's running strongest at 13,200 wot. It pulls a 24" bar in oak fine but this is just a saw to play around with so I'd like to move the rpm up and keep the torque. If any experienced porters could give me some pointers I would really appreciate it. The video below is how its running now.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Ron.
Pics would be best if you have any
Please be kind and remember I just started trying to port. The intake is flatter than it looks in the pic.

thumbnail_IMG_1936.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1937.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1938.jpg

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I pull the cylinder off tomorrow I'll get some better pics.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have a pic of the base? Which carb is on it?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the only pics I have of it. The carb is a HD 12.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that ezaust roof looks really flat. and yeah the intake is a little wonky haha. doesnt look like anything was done to lowers?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that ezaust roof looks really flat. and yeah the intake is a little wonky haha. doesnt look like anything was done to lowers?
It has a little curve to the exhaust roof, I just widened it and didn't touch the roof. Should I arch the exhaust a little? On the lowers I only knife edged the divider and matched it to the base gasket. The intake was shaped like a football and pretty wide so I went from the widest point and took it down level with the floor. The intake does look misshaped in the pic. I may have ground on it some more after that pic. I'm going to pull the cylinder in the morning and raise the skirt that's blocking the lower transfers, open the exhaust some more and open the exhaust some more. If the intake looks as bad as it does in the pic I'll try and clean the shape up a little.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi, first post. I've been trying to learn how to port a saw and I've had some good luck with a couple of small saws I've done but I haven't had the best of luck with the 372/2171 saws. The two I've done ran good and strong but just didn't have the high rpm I was looking for. Right now I'm working on a 2165. First I tried to port a used 372 cylinder with a 266 pop up piston. It ran good but just didn't have the rpm. So I tried cutting on it a little more and ended up ruining it. Next I tried porting a 52mm BB, it's on the saw now, Someone on another site gave me some numbers to try and I used those. The saw runs pretty good but it just doesn't have the higher rpm I want. The port timing as it stands now is, exhaust 101, intake 80, transfers 121. the exhaust an intake was widened and the lowers was gasket matched. The compression is at 205psi cold, I cut the base, and it's running strongest at 13,200 wot. It pulls a 24" bar in oak fine but this is just a saw to play around with so I'd like to move the rpm up and keep the torque. If any experienced porters could give me some pointers I would really appreciate it. The video below is how its running now.

Welcome to the site
Nice saw those full wraps are getting rare.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What numbers are you “trying”, Limited coil? What carb?
As it stands now the numbers are, exhaust 101, intake 81 and transfers 121. It has a HD 12 carb. Unlimited coil.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the site
Nice saw those full wraps are getting rare.
Thanks, I paid $29 on Amazon. It's a 372 wrap on a 372 tank dyed black.
Screenshot at 2019-04-16 08:46:32.png

Last edited: