First aid kit reccomendation

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So yesterday while I was doing a heavy leaner for a customer i had an accident. The tree had a small hollow spot in the top that just happened to be right in my hinge wood where I took the top at. The hinge failure caused the butt to drop hard and whipped the stub hard enough to knock me off my gaffs. I was tied in properly with two tie ins so I didn't drop far but the saw got whipped hard on my lanyard and caught my arm. Luckily the chain brake engaged so it wasn't spinning when it hit and I just got relatively minor lacerations. I said that to ask this. When I finished up and came down I realized I didn't have any first aid with me except the tourniquet on my belt. So who makes a good kit that will service a crew of 2-4 guys and covers the basics well? Id like to have bandages and bandaids, quik clot powder or bandage, possibly gloves, that kind of thing. Any suggestions?

20210321_080620.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Glad you're okay. Could have been so much worse. I actually have two kits on my truck

One for boo-boo's

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...BL18K6HC3j9tIhoY1t0aAqjHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And one like this for serious trauma:

https://mymedic.com/products/myfak-firstaidkit?currency=USD&variant=19844419354720&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPUnO5V_1e4WsEXJWyHa3FrAkjm2lvXiPFDzzD9Bfgdv6HgkWSFCV4IaAvaNEALw_wcB#whats-inside-section
But that's really only step one. Make sure you or someone on your crew has had some sort of formal first Aid training.

And like ammoaddict said have a dr. debraid (clean) that wound.

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You better go to the doctor and get that cleaned out. It will probably get infected.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Glad you're okay. Could have been so much worse. I actually have two kits on my truck

One for boo-boo's

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...BL18K6HC3j9tIhoY1t0aAqjHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And one like this for serious trauma:

https://mymedic.com/products/myfak-firstaidkit?currency=USD&variant=19844419354720&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3duCBhCAARIsAJeFyPUnO5V_1e4WsEXJWyHa3FrAkjm2lvXiPFDzzD9Bfgdv6HgkWSFCV4IaAvaNEALw_wcB#whats-inside-section
But that's really only step one. Make sure you or someone on your crew has had some sort of formal first Aid training.

And like ammoaddict said have a dr. debraid (clean) that wound.

I have had trauma training in the Corps, Im looking into a local option for emergency first aid now. As far as cleaning it, I'm headed to my families place after church. Brother in law is medic in the Guard as well as a firefighter and emt. Hes gonna clean it out and if it needs stitches my moms an RN and shell stitch it for me

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about a car first aid kit box for starters and simply add what seems to be missing?

That looks nasty, take care of that wound.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I have had trauma training in the Corps, Im looking into a local option for emergency first aid now. As far as cleaning it, I'm headed to my families place after church. Brother in law is medic in the Guard as well as a firefighter and emt. Hes gonna clean it out and if it needs stitches my moms an RN and shell stitch it for me
Sounds like you got it covered and also some excellent resources to guide you on this topic as well;)

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t use the blood clot powder it has to be scrubbed out. They make bandages with the powder inside. That is what you want. And stuff to make an effective tourniquet.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Glad your fine but that scratch sucks.

Get your goods from those pros you mentioned. My homemade kit is under the drivers seat and I keep cloth tape and surgical gloves in sterile packs in my door pockets. The cloth skin tape is my number one friend in one or two inch width. Keep the end open and folded back over a few inches so you can grab it with your teeth. I work alone sometimes. The one time I carry my phone, water bottle on me, my cloth double D ring belt and my 2" tape. You never know climbing or running the bow saw.

Next time try to pay more attention to the chip color and how the saw feeds into the wood. If you catch those hollow jobs tie a choker above and below to avoid it splitting out when the hinge snaps. Undercutting your hinge slightly tends to let them hollow jobs slide off. Lowering your open face might also help.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t use the blood clot powder it has to be scrubbed out. They make bandages with the powder inside. That is what you want. And stuff to make an effective tourniquet.
What is wrong with scrubbing out a wound? Seriously...
Soap or worse like alcohol and then get a nice soft bristle brush and scrub it all out lol.
He has to have that nasty cutters cut cleaned out like on the inside.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience, building one from scratch is just as expensive as buying a good kit if only doing one. If you build two or more, most stuff can be bought cheaper in bulk. Dark angel makes some nice kits with everything you should need. If you just need boo boo stuff, Walmart, Amazon, Uline, Lowe’s and Home Depot will have what you need.

My truck bags have assorted gauze sizes and types, band aids, tape, coban, quick clot gauze, TQ, ointments, alcohol pads, gloves, scissors, Mylar blanket, SAM splint, nasopharyngeal tube and lube, and other bleeding control materials. I keep these sling on my drivers side headrest and everyone know where they are when they are with me.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience, building one from scratch is just as expensive as buying a good kit if only doing one. If you build two or more, most stuff can be bought cheaper in bulk. Dark angel makes some nice kits with everything you should need. If you just need boo boo stuff, Walmart, Amazon, Uline, Lowe’s and Home Depot will have what you need.

My truck bags have assorted gauze sizes and types, band aids, tape, coban, quick clot gauze, TQ, ointments, alcohol pads, gloves, scissors, Mylar blanket, SAM splint, nasopharyngeal tube and lube, and other bleeding control materials. I keep these sling on my drivers side headrest and everyone know where they are when they are with me.
Probably best answer worthy.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is wrong with scrubbing out a wound? Seriously...
Soap or worse like alcohol and then get a nice soft bristle brush and scrub it all out lol.
He has to have that nasty cutters cut cleaned out like on the inside.
Forgive me for butting in here, but I'm thinking he meant that the, directly applied, clotting agent could make it more work~messier to debride the wound.
Here's my set of marks. the Joys of Ambien and something the-f### else prescribed at the time.

Attachments

• arm scratch.JPG
    arm scratch.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 27

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ouch!

IMO . . . a First Aid kit that you assemble yourself might be the best. A lot of the commercial ones include stuff that you don't really want or really need for your application. Based on your training, and your experience, you probably know what you want, and what you know how to use. Not sure how you work, but you might consider a multi-level approach:

Blood Stop Kit - one of the groups I work with requires these to be personally carried, so that you have them when you need them. I bought a small, zippered pouch and contents off of Amazon, etc. Includes tourniquet, gauze, tape, gloves, EMT shears, etc. Stuff you might need right away.

Truck / Crew Kit - something larger for things that you don't want to carry everywhere or need as quickly: band-aids, meds, tweezers, flashlight, more gauze types, elastic bandages, splints, cold packs, eye wash, poison ivy cream, alcohol wipes, etc. Could have more advanced stuff if trained to use it.

Scratch and Scrape Kit - this was the idea of a crew leader that I know. It is a smaller kit, containing band-aids, antibiotic ointment, aspirin / tylenol, etc. for minor injuries *** specifically designed to keep people for rooting through, and messing up, the larger trauma / first aid kit ***.

Philbert

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Disclaimer first, you should seek in person professional medical help.

Clean that out good, use some peroxide and antibiotic ointment.

Never want to close a dirty wound, they heal from the bottom up. You’ll seal in an infection and make things worse. Generally there is a 12-24 hour window for closing wounds.

If you can get doxycycline I’d take it, 100mg of Hyclate or Monohydrate 2x a day for 10 days orally. It can cause phototoxicity, so you’ll have to be careful with direct sunlight for a few weeks if you go that route.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Another crucial step is making sure that everyone on the crew knows where the first aid kit is. A safety professional pointed out in a class I took several years ago that crucial seconds can easily be wasted digging through the truck looking for the kit. Made good sense to me.