srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I retired today.
After 44+ years of working in a very dynamic corporate environment, I closed my office door for the final time.
It was hard to walk out and know I wouldn't be going back.

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I retired today.
After 44+ years of working in a very dynamic corporate environment, I closed my office door for the final time.
It was hard to walk out and know I wouldn't be going back.
Congrats, now go get a different full time job so you can breath. My cousin retired, and the honey do list made him al.ost take up working two jobs again.
In all seriousness, I hope it goes well and you all can enjoy some peace.
Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congrats, now go get a different full time job so you can breath. My cousin retired, and the honey do list made him al.ost take up working two jobs again.
In all seriousness, I hope it goes well and you all can enjoy some peace.
Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's going to be different. I spent the last 15 years in a constant $hit storm and loved every minute of it. It's going to be strange to wake up and not prepare for battle.
Having me retire was my wife's idea. She's been working on a list of projects for months.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's going to be different. I spent the last 15 years in a constant $hit storm and loved every minute of it. It's going to be strange to wake up and not prepare for battle.
Having me retire was my wife's idea. She's been working on a list of projects for months.

I hear “ consulting “ is a great sideline for retired guys. In normal times it usually involves 3 or 4 hours a day having coffee at McDonald’s.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what is planned with the next life chapter? Congrats by the way!
I hear “ consulting “ is a great sideline for retired guys. In normal times it usually involves 3 or 4 hours a day having coffee at McDonald’s.

I've had a good job offer, but it would require relocation, to another state, for about a year and would probably violate my no-compete agreement, which with certain stipulations, is a lifetime deal.
For now, I'm not going to do anything. I want to decompress a bit.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, 44 years for a single company is almost unheard of.

Congrats to you.
Thanks

The nature of business has certainly changed. Used to be you had a pension to look forward to, when you retired from a company. Now it's a 401K, that you take with you, if you change jobs.
I fortunately started working long enough ago to have both.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congratulations sir. Sounds like by your longevity, and the other offers you were a valued employee. That's also something to take with you as you retire -- a feeling of accomplishment and value.
I know the Mrs. will certainly keep you busy :D

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congrats Steve...wish you the best brother!

...now grab some lead slingers, bust some primers/smell some spent powder, and give reloading full attention...while the grillin' and smokin' is doing its' thing in the background. That ball and chain honey-do list can wait...for at least six months!

Congrats again bro!

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only had a couple mechanic jobs in my life that I stayed at for more than a year. Other than that, being a timber tramp is what I love, but I have no loyalty to anyone, as I jump from gig to gig.
Reading the comments in this post reminds me that I don't have jack crap for retirement, and maybe before I get too grey I should put away a few dimes here and there for when it's my time to hang up the saws. 18 years ago I would quit jobs once a week, as I was always looking for a better strip, better pay and whatnot. Jobs were a dime a dozen then too!

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes become a consultant...
Then you set your prices for how busy you want to be.
Got something planned your rate goes up to free up your time.
Bored drop your rate till you get as busy as you want to be.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was friends with a consultant at work. He was a retired engineer. 6 months here, 6 months there, all around U.S. and Canada. He worked 3 days a week and got 80.00 an hour. Paid hotel and travel. He loved it, but he had no hobbies.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only had a couple mechanic jobs in my life that I stayed at for more than a year. Other than that, being a timber tramp is what I love, but I have no loyalty to anyone, as I jump from gig to gig.
Reading the comments in this post reminds me that I don't have jack crap for retirement, and maybe before I get too grey I should put away a few dimes here and there for when it's my time to hang up the saws. 18 years ago I would quit jobs once a week, as I was always looking for a better strip, better pay and whatnot. Jobs were a dime a dozen then too!

Probably a good idea.
When you're young, you don't think about the day you wouldn't or couldn't work.
If you have access to a 401K, with an employer match, it's a no brainer. Free money is hard to turn down.

I have a friend who is in his mid 50's. Never saved a dime in his life. Now he's trying to figure out how he's ever going to be able to retire. He always worked for cash and other than the last five years, never paid any Social Security taxes. He's going to have a tough time of it.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a friend that had her own private investigation business. She did really well. But she spent every dime on living the high life. Never put anything away. She retired at 62, started drawing social security, mortgaged a small house in the country and bought a car with a small down payment. Almost 15 years later, still making house payments and another car loan. She can barely afford to eat dog food. She is also a very angry at herself for doing this to herself.
The question is, how do you want to live, when you can't work anymore?

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a friend that had her own private investigation business. She did really well. But she spent every dime on living the high life. Never put anything away. She retired at 62, started drawing social security, mortgaged a small house in the country and bought a car with a small down payment. Almost 15 years later, still making house payments and another car loan. She can barely afford to eat dog food. She is also a very angry at herself for doing this to herself.
The question is, how do you want to live, when you can't work anymore?
My friend was the same way. Always had fast boats, new trucks, guns, Harleys....
Every time he could, he pulled the equity out of his house and bought something.
He's really worried about the future.