Everything about Reloading.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
11:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I reload for almost everything I own except for my 410.

I've got a Dillon 550 for all my handgun and 223.

I have a Forester CO/AX for my precision rifles and rifles I don't shoot very much.

I've got Mec 600jr's for my 20ga and 12 along with a Mec progressive press for 12.
I don't bother loading shotgun. I rarely shoot em and for what I can get shells for from Walmart it ain't worth my time.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How steep was the learning curve of getting everything setup, staged and indexed properly? I just inherited Dad's old Rock Chucker which has loaded countless rounds over the last 30 years or so. For precision rifle or revolver loads I prefer single stage presses, but am thinking that a progressive may be the ticket for higher volume production.

If you haven't done much loading I'd highly recommend spending time on a single stage press first so you get all the steps down pat.

Learning on a progressive could be a little intimidating at first, but still doable. Once you get in a rhythm on a progressive things really go smoothly though

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to start loading for my .243
What case trimer would you fellas recommend I buy?

I have a Dillon 1200 for my .223 that I have mounted on my press, it's slicker than chit.

For everything else I bit the bullet and went with a Wilson trimmer. I highly recommend it. It's on the higher end price wise because for each cartridge you need to buy a case holder. But the way that trimmer is designed you are getting the necks trimmed perfectly straight.

Besides that you can't go wrong with anything Redding, I am a huge Redding fanboy.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking hand trimming and loading powder individually. I'll look into a Wilson case trimer.

I'm very comfortable loading pistol rounds with my progressive.

For my trimmer I bought the adapter to be able to use a drill. I have a small 4v drill that I use.

Short of my Dillon, my next favorite reloading purchase was the RCBS Chargemaster. Ever since I got that my power thrower has been sitting on the shelf. Although I still use my balance beam scale to confirm charges every so often.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My last trip to Texas a few weeks back I got to see the results of a AR that had a faulty round...

I have always been careful while loading, but after seeing the results of that rifle one can't be careful enough. The guy behind the gun was lucky to walk away unhurt.

The barrel was off the upper, the BCG was split in half and the upper was cracked. I think the handguard and stock was the only good part left on the rifle. There is still a investigation going on as to what happened.
The ammo was from a guy who just got his mfg license for ammo.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always been careful while loading, but after seeing the results of that rifle one can't be careful enough. The guy behind the gun was lucky to walk away unhurt.

That's exactly why I want to do individual rifle rounds.

My brother in law has a Dillon 650 that he load 223 with we've talked about splitting the cost of a Dillon 1200 trimer.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I reload for almost everything I own except for my 410.

I've got a Dillon 550 for all my handgun and 223.

I have a Forester CO/AX for my precision rifles and rifles I don't shoot very much.

I've got Mec 600jr's for my 20ga and 12 along with a Mec progressive press for 12.
I don't bother loading shotgun. I rarely shoot em and for what I can get shells for from Walmart it ain't worth my time.
.41 Mag dies will work for the .410 if you back them out.

Dad bought a Redding years ago and may have bought a Wilson recently. If so, I'll buy the redding from Him.

If you haven't done much loading I'd highly recommend spending time on a single stage press first so you get all the steps down pat.

Learning on a progressive could be a little intimidating at first, but still doable. Once you get in a rhythm on a progressive things really go smoothly though

I've probably loaded somewhere near 5k rounds on a single stage, but I've yet to use a progressive. He just bought a Redding T7 turret press, which is why the RCBS Rockchucker came to me. Given the amount of .38spl, .44 spl, .40S&W, .45acp 10mm and sometimes 9mm we shoot, the progressive would be nice. I'd likely save the .44 mag, .41 Mag and .357's and if I get a another Blackhawk loading capable .45 Colt for the single stage along with the rifle. The .223 would depend on how bulky of powder I was running.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.41 Mag dies will work for the .410 if you back them out.

Dad bought a Redding years ago and may have bought a Wilson recently. If so, I'll buy the redding from Him.

I've probably loaded somewhere near 5k rounds on a single stage, but I've yet to use a progressive. He just bought a Redding T7 turret press, which is why the RCBS Rockchucker came to me. Given the amount of .38spl, .44 spl, .40S&W, .45acp 10mm and sometimes 9mm we shoot, the progressive would be nice. I'd likely save the .44 mag, .41 Mag and .357's and if I get a another Blackhawk loading capable .45 Colt for the single stage along with the rifle. The .223 would depend on how bulky of powder I was running.

Then you'll have no problem with a progressive. The first 100 or so rounds may take a little time to get your rhythm going, after that it's a breeze

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A 10ga press would be fun as my Wife's cousin has a Browning 10ga (either BPS or semi-auto) and it would be fun to roll up some healthy lead shot rounds for upland game, just because.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is all I got. for now. More to come if you like!

We shot untold amount's of shotgun shells in the last 4 weeks. During dove season.

Attachments

• arboristes site 005.JPG
    arboristes site 005.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5f999c574c5cc66c969dafe8a09474a8.jpg

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I need to find someone within a reasonable commuting distance, who wouldn't mind providing a bit of OJT before I buy a press to see the ins and outs and decide what to buy.