High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Electrical output of a 65cc chainsaw?

brt3638

OPE Member
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I start early in the morning before the sun comes up, and my saws don't stop running till after the sun goes down. I want a couple little stand alone led lights. On my kick only shovelhead, I had a magneto/capacitor system that didn't need a battery. Would a setup like that work on a saw? Would I need the handle bar heater flywheel? Or could I run the lights from the coil?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never seen a shovel head Harley that only had a kicker on it unless it was some custom affair .That said even with a mag it should have had a generator and a battery .The old pan heads had a 3 brush generator that only had a relay ,not a voltage regulator .The only put out about 10-15 or so amps at 6 volts .Lights weren't all that great either .

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might have to scour Ebay for one of them old Mccullochs 10-10 generators. Or grab one of them little HF 2 stroke generators.

brt3638

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never seen a shovel head Harley that only had a kicker on it unless it was some custom affair .That said even with a mag it should have had a generator and a battery .The old pan heads had a 3 brush generator that only had a relay ,not a voltage regulator .The only put out about 10-15 or so amps at 6 volts .Lights weren't all that great either .
Both mine had magnetos and generators. But were kick only, rigid, open primary, death traps.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I start early in the morning before the sun comes up, and my saws don't stop running till after the sun goes down. I want a couple little stand alone led lights. On my kick only shovelhead, I had a magneto/capacitor system that didn't need a battery. Would a setup like that work on a saw? Would I need the handle bar heater flywheel? Or could I run the lights from the coil?

I doubt you could run LED lights from a coil, because a coil by it's nature is a switching power supply. LEDs require a steady input for it's semi-conductor to switch the LED on and off many times per second.

I would look at getting a matching recoil starter assembly from a Husqvarna 372XPG, Stihl whatever, etc. and use the output from that to drive the LEDs. Whatever the output is for the heated handle bars, I am sure you can find a matching LED in the same voltage range. You might need a capacitor of sorts to level out the voltage. I would tend to go with an automotive LED because they are usually pot well to resist vibration.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would build a separate coil driven by the flywheel's magnet, and make a rectifier with a smoothing capacitor, maybe even use a super-capacitor. Then I'd use a switching boost or buck converter if needed, and another capacitor or supercapacitor for energy storage. It would be cool having lights on a chainsaw. I think if you knew what you were doing you could get a lot of light from just the flywheel magnet.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or you could just get a headlamp lol. Some interesting info in here from guys with a lot more knowledge than me, but the phrasethat comes to mind is “just because you can, doesnt mean you should”. Id rather not run a chainsaw in the dark anyway

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A headlights on a saw is not only kinda ridiculous, its would be highly useless too. The saw is by function cutting through wood so any attached light would get blocked and not be helpful. A better idea as mentioned is to have the light above the work area i.e on your head where it lights up whatever your looking at. But fitting Harley parts to a saw does sound cool, its just a bad idea. Like a miner fitting a light to his pick or shovel, its dumb.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The LEDs on my $20 HF 18v drills are a fine addition and come in handy, so, lights on tools have their uses. I can see where it might be handy on a chainsaw. BUT, I consider operating a chainsaw in the dark extremely dangerous because the hazards you step on and spring poles. Though for firewood bucking, maybe less so.

That being said, I have used LED Energizer headlamps (ones with a single strap) on my chainsaw helmet to finish up a job in the dark. It is something I avoid, but, the question was about how to get her' done.