Efco jolly wiring melt down....

10/80

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have any ideas as to what has caused this?...It's the wiring between the three way switch and the motor.

P1070404.JPG

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
first thought is poor connections which would significantly raise the amperage draw, second would be motor load - bearings or some sort of significant drag causing high amperage draw. possible failing pole wiring in motor. in some 30+ years i have only managed to burn out one motor and that was an import from chicom territory. Crimp-on connectors and push on terminals are notorious for corrosion causing high amperage draw. Seen lots of burned off terminals from this.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would almost have to be a short inside the motor for there to be enough heat to burn insulation off that motor running on 220V. Or possibly a hot wire was rubbing against a ground and wore through the insulation. I believe mine is 1.5A or so at 120v. Yours should only draw about .8A.

10/80

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had noticed the motor felt hotter than I thought it should.
After I separated the wires the motor still runs.

10/80

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe check the bearings and the brushes over real good? I honestly don’t know, I’m just spitballing

It's all a mystery to me too!....Guess I'll pull the motor and see.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Could be a hot loaded bearing starting to seize like Kevin said.

I've seen switches slowly going bad do horrible thing to high voltage wiring. High amp low volts makes even more smoke and mess but goes downhill much faster. Load test the main line to see what your loaded hot amps draw comes in at.

10/80

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to rewind a bit.....I purchased the grinder second hand a few years ago and hadn't used it much, as I mentioned previously it seemed to run hotter than I thought it should?....It would appear that the previous owner had the unit apart and had over tensioned the four nuts securing the end plate on the motor, in turn this over loaded the bearings causing the over heating which caused the wiring to melt.

The four nuts in question are under the red fan cover...
The grinder now has new bearings, new wiring and is working as it should (and running cool).
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!
P1070415.JPG

Last edited: