Echo Weed Whacker Issues

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a SRM2601. Seems to have intermittent probs running. When it runs it runs hard and smooth. Gas is getting throgh carb ok, and have a new NGK plug. But.......sometimes it just cuts out. Am I looking at a kill switch issue? This unit is over 20 years old now. Coil is a new Echo OEM coil about 1 1/2 years ago. I get a good strong spark when I ground the plug against the engine. Thanks, gents.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could very well be another bad coil. Don't forget even new parts can be bad. I would double check to make sure the kill wire is not rubbed through anywhere and maybe just dis connect it from the coil all together. If it runs great a tank or two disconnected then there's your problem.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could very well be another bad coil. Don't forget even new parts can be bad. I would double check to make sure the kill wire is not rubbed through anywhere and maybe just dis connect it from the coil all together. If it runs great a tank or two disconnected then there's your problem.
Good answer, but I do get a consistent spark when I yank on the cord, and the plug is grounded to the block, so I'm pretty certain that the coil is not the issue. Kill switches and their wires are not expensive or hard to find. I may just go ahead and replace both. Want to talk expensive? The coil was $60 18 mos ago.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve: You are correct about the possibility of a new part being bad. But....in my experience with Echo, which is well over 20 years now, their parts are made very well, and I'm sure their internal quality control is pretty good. You want junk? Try the Chinese Communist coils for your Lawn Boy mower. If you get 2 or 3 years out of them, you're doing well.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good answer, but I do get a consistent spark when I yank on the cord, and the plug is grounded to the block, so I'm pretty certain that the coil is not the issue. Kill switches and their wires are not expensive or hard to find. I may just go ahead and replace both. Want to talk expensive? The coil was $60 18 mos ago.

Spark cranking with no compression requires very little Kv to fire a .030" gap. The faster the engine runs and the more load on the engine the more spark energy required to fire the plug. That may be why it cuts out under load. Don't go throwing parts at it. It will end up getting real expensive. Yup, they are proud of their coils! If you come up with nothing get a cheap as cheap chicon coil and see if it fixes it. Last one I bought for a hand held blower was 13 shipped!

Steve: You are correct about the possibility of a new part being bad. But....in my experience with Echo, which is well over 20 years now, their parts are made very well, and I'm sure their internal quality control is pretty good. You want junk? Try the Chinese Communist coils for your Lawn Boy mower. If you get 2 or 3 years out of them, you're doing well.

I own and have owned a lot of echo equipment over the years. I am very impressed with their quality. I have had 3 echos the last two years with bad coils. Two would idle all day long but fall on their face and stall with any throttle. The other did exactly what yours is doing. One of them was a few years old.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spark cranking with no compression requires very little Kv to fire a .030" gap. The faster the engine runs and the more load on the engine the more spark energy required to fire the plug. That may be why it cuts out under load. Don't go throwing parts at it. It will end up getting real expensive. Yup, they are proud of their coils! If you come up with nothing get a cheap as cheap chicon coil and see if it fixes it. Last one I bought for a hand held blower was 13 shipped!

I own and have owned a lot of echo equipment over the years. I am very impressed with their quality. I have had 3 echos the last two years with bad coils. Two would idle all day long but fall on their face and stall with any throttle. The other did exactly what yours is doing. One of them was a few years old.
That stinks. Was it the coil?

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes.

I just searched the part number on eBay and ordered the cheapest that was shipped from the U.S.
Thanks. I'm not finding Commie carb for my model. They're all upwards of $70, and all are OEM. Take it easy

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up replacing the spark plug. It started up like 20 times in a row. So, for now I'm saying it's fixed. But with an extended run time, and everything heating up, who knows if the coil will crap out? But one thing is for sure: definitely ignition issues. I'll be really po'd if its the coil that I just replaced two years ago. But, it's still cheaper than a new unit at $300 plus tax.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t tell you how many running issues I’ve fixed that were caused by a sparkplug... sometimes we overlook the simpler stuff.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t tell you how many running issues I’ve fixed that were caused by a sparkplug... sometimes we overlook the simpler stuff.
I think I ran that particular plug for 3 years or so. So, you cheapskate dumb ass, replace the plug, right? Right. Just as an aside, I used to have a persnickety finnicky Saab. I was having a miss with acceleration. After spending a $200 bucks to have the "experts" look at it, went and got a brand new set of Bosch plugs ( remember when Bosch USED to be reliable ) and fixed the problem myself.

PS: FRIENDS, DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS BUY A SAAB.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to see late model GM vehicles come into the shop with all kinds of weirdness caused by aftermarket plugs. A lot of them refused to run with anything other than the Delco platinum plugs.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to see late model GM vehicles come into the shop with all kinds of weirdness caused by aftermarket plugs. A lot of them refused to run with anything other than the Delco platinum plugs.
I believe it.