Echo String Trimmer Starts Like SSSSShit

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Older unit, SRM 2601 was running great. Couple of days ago, it just got real cranky and took a lot of pulls to get it going, like 12-15 pulls.
In your opinions, is this a carb issue or a need for new fuel line / vent hosing? Thanks.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Older unit, SRM 2601 was running great. Couple of days ago, it just got real cranky and took a lot of pulls to get it going, like 12-15 pulls.
In your opinions, is this a carb issue or a need for new fuel line / vent hosing? Thanks.
Standard procedure: Clean and kit the carb, new fuel lines/fuel filter, intake gaskets and primer bulb of applicable. Clean/ replace the air filter and new spark plug. If you haven't already, stop running ethanol fuel in it.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beagle- Ain't been using any ethanol for like 7 years. Nothing but aviation fuel for me, or premix from VP fuels. Will work on the other parts, thanks.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found a new spark plug laying around. It's already running better than changing out the carb and fuel lines. Thanks.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Further questions. Looked at vids on utube for carb tuning. All the vids I saw had carbs with both a high speed and low speed screw. My carb is a knockoff from about 3 years ago, and only has one adjusting screw. Do I treat that one screw like it is the high speed screw?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
was going to say try a new spark plug. I've experienced that same problem, don't overlook the spark plug when it's hard to start.

I'm surprised your [new] carb has any adjustment screws. climate obsession makes it so most carbs now especially the aftermarket have no high/low speed adjustment screws they are blocked off. If you have just one screw, then at idle turn it 1/2 turn in either direction and if there's an influence in idle quality it's a low speed adjustment. if not and only influences high speed then it's a high speed adjustment. Assuming it's not the idle rpm adjustment screw you're referring to.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I treated it like the high-speed side. Runs good when revved up, but till taking more pulls to start than I'd like to see. That thing used to start up, in the dead of winter, after sitting for mos, on one pull. Plus it's all moist between the carb and the tank grommet. Got some hairline cracks somewhere. I think it's time.

Question: no matter how many times I mash the primer bulb, there's always a small air bubble in the purge line. Air leak?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have the sparker arrestor screen in there make sure it's not clogged.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing, is that a model that has a catalytic converter muffler? If so that thing might be clogged up too.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has three catalytic converters. Actually just cleaned out the exhaust port at the end of last season.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has three catalytic converters. Actually just cleaned out the exhaust port at the end of last season.
My mufflers that have a cat in them, I just drill a hole through the baffle and bypass the cat.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different model but my weed eater ran great first week then hard to start and ran bad next time. First thought
clogged muffler. Sure enough mud dobbers plugged up muffler where you could not see it until I opened it up. Fortunately it was two piece
‘muffler. Cleaned it out runs great now.