HELP! Echo SRM 2502

Chuck Gibson

New OPE Member
Local time
6:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old Echo SRM 2502 weed eater that has kicked butt for 25+ years. I believe it was manufactured in 1990. The OEM carburetor has long been obsolete. I bought an echo gasket set that is unfortunatly aftermarket...It was in an Echo package but I have learned that after the product was discontinued, they sell repackaged aftermarket parts. It is not sealing. The gaskets seamed thinner than the ones on it that I used to rebuild it 15 some odd years ago. I researched aftermarket carburetors and found many that had the Echo part number as a reference but only one of them came close to matching the OEM carburetor. I bought the one I found and it has the throttle connection reversed. Instead of pulling from the air filter side of the carburetor, it pulls from the engine side. Do any of you have any suggestions as to where I can get a OEM gasket set or aftermarket carburetor for this?
Original Echo part #..
Carburetor- 12300041030
Thanks,
Chuck

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's Walbro carb yes? Get a genuine Walbro kit for it. Walbro parts look up is on their website. I'd give you kit numbers but my "smartphone" is being dumb this morning...

Chuck Gibson

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's Walbro carb yes? Get a genuine Walbro kit for it. Walbro parts look up is on their website. I'd give you kit numbers but my "smartphone" is being dumb this morning...
WOW! I didn't realize that was an option. I always thought that you had to go to Echo for an Echo part. I will dig into that as soon as I get home from work today.
Thanks again and I will get back on here with the results!
Chuck

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the one I found and it has the throttle connection reversed.
The rotors usually rotate clockwise for full throttle. Remove the 2 screws holding the rotor and rotate it 180 degrees. Where is the carburetor leaking? Walbro changed the metal plate that retains the primer bulb to apply pressure more evenly to the primer base. They were having trouble with the bases warping and leaking between the base and the carburetor body. Compare the metal retainers on the new vs old carb and you'll see what I'm talking about.

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Original Echo part #..
Carburetor- 12300041030
Walbro changed the metal plate that retains the primer bulb to apply pressure more evenly to the primer base.

From what I find your carb is a WY-21. Double check carb numbers to be certain before going to the Walbro website. I don't know if any of the repair kits come with the upgraded piece @EFSM mentioned. You could possibly swap it from the new carb to the old one if it's the heavier piece, and you can't return it for some reason.

Chuck Gibson

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent. Part number WY-21 is correct. They have the kit I need. I ordered part# K10-WY. The next question is, do you guys have any tips I might use when rebuilding it? I read somewhere on this forum that the plastic carburetor bodies can be tricky....
Thank you guys so much!
Chuck

Chuck Gibson

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a picture of the old carburetor next to the aftermarket to give you guys a better view of what I am dealing with..
Resized_20240627_191835.jpeg

whybother

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent. Part number WY-21 is correct. They have the kit I need. I ordered part# K10-WY. The next question is, do you guys have any tips I might use when rebuilding it? I read somewhere on this forum that the plastic carburetor bodies can be tricky....
Thank you guys so much!
Chuck

Glad you were able to find the right parts. I haven't ran into a plastic body carb yet. Remember it's plastic and Don't over tighten things and it should be fine.