CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As the title says, I'm looking for a piston for an early 357xp. They used a narrower connecting rod/bearing in the early saws so the distance between the piston bosses is narrower (approx. 14mm). The later saws used a piston with approx. 15.5mm between the bosses. Anybody got anything before I go looking for a 257 piston?

Thanks,
Chris

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As the title says, I'm looking for a piston for an early 357xp. They used a narrower connecting rod/bearing in the early saws so the distance between the piston bosses is narrower (approx. 14mm). The later saws used a piston with approx. 15.5mm between the bosses. Anybody got anything before I go looking for a 257 piston?

Thanks,
Chris

I had forgotten about this issue Chris. I have a 254 piston.....but nothing in 46mm.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Randy. Yeah the early 357xps are a bit of a problem to rebuild. The guy I got the saw from straight gassed it and the dealer told him he couldn't get parts. So the owner bought a china kit (with the wrong piston) and installed it himself. That didn't go so well, so he sold the saw to me for parts. I have a cylinder here from another carcass but no piston.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks J.J.. I am trying to avoid splitting but that is certainly an option. The bearings feel okay to me so I will try the piston route first.
I would have to fab up a splitter since these things have stuffers and yes, I am lazy lol.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have a PN? I have a new OEM 47mm piston but I'm not sure on the boss width. I'll see if I can find it and measure but it may take a minute. I also should have a crank.
re: part number - Husqvarna 503920471

edit: The piston should be 46mm. 47mm would be for a 359

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am still looking for a piston.

In the mean time, I have order some shims/washers - some in S.S. and some in aluminum. When they get here I will see how they fit and if I think they might work I will post up my findings in a new thread in the chainsaw forum.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chris - If you're gonna do the washer thing, I recommend getting thrust washers. Thrust washers are usually heat-treated and withstand the vibration.

CJ Brown

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks J.J. - back to the drawing board lol. I will see what I can find

What if I heat treated the S.S. shims? In fact, if they are true shims, they may be quite hard to begin with - I would have to do a scratch test on them.