Dumpster Dive Poulan BMV200FE Blower

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rescued this from the trash man It's a BVM200FE, not BMV. Wouldn't start. Got gas and spark. Low compression, about 40 lbs. I squirted some oil in the cylinder, and compression went up to 80 lbs. Reinstalled the spark plug, and started on first pull. Ran poorly, but ran. I assume I need a piston ring, as oil boosted the compression. I do have the parts list, but no service manual.

My question is, if the cylinder is worn also, are the new replacement rings big enough to cover the extra distance created by wear? I don't see any listing for oversize rings. Do they need to be fitted, as in how much end gap in the ring, or is what you have is it? I do not have any specs on ring gap or bore diameter to go by. I was just hoping this would work as a drop in replacement.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe, maybe not. End gap should be controlled by a little raised spot in the groove where the gaps meet, you shouldn't have to file them or anything. Even if you need a piston and cylinder they are pretty cheap if you shop around.

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just ordered a new ring. Actually I bought two, in case I break one during installation, @ the cost of $2.09 ea. I see the raised spot on the piston, I will make sure the ring gap is there.

GBertolet

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the rings. Installed one, and the blower started up and runs fine. Can't understand it, the compression tests the same as before. Apparently something is different, and improved. Anyhow, I have a spare blower now, that works well.