Dual Sport Motorcycle

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have any opinions on dual sport motorcycles? I am looking for trail bike to ride around the mountains and occasionally on the hardtop. I have recently ridden Yamaha XT 225 and TW 200. Both where ok, but I think I am looking for a bit more. We also got to ride a new Suzuki VanVan 200, in my opinion much better in comfort and power than the TW. Mostly considering the VanVan for the GF (shorter legs and learner bike). I am truly considering the Suzuki DR ZS 400 for myself.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
See if you can demo a ktm would be my suggestion.

I rode a klr650 mostly back roads and mild trail for about 30k and a dr650 offroad and trail for a few k. Good bikes but too top heavy if you aren't at least 6ft tall. Almost too big for most trail riding honestly. The drz is very nimble and can be snappy depending on how you gear it. I always thought they were underpowered but that's just me.

Fav dual sport has been a klx650 but they are getting old and hard to find. Fav off road bike was my husky wxe350.

Good luck on your search. Keep it shiny side up!

Steven

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have very limited experience with dual sports. From a service stand point, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the DRZ400. I’ve ridden them up and down the road beside the shop and they feel like a great bike. All the normal routine stuff is easy to work on. With a second set of wheels, you could have dedicated street tires if you wanted to do more asphalt shredding.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A friend bought a DR when they first came out. He took thos silly dual tires off and installed knobbys. he road that thing every where and even on the black top but always kept in his mind it had knobby tires.

He would stud the tires in the winter and ride it then too. I bet that thing had a couple milloin miles on it when he passed away in December.

Al

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember doing setup and test drives on various DRZ's. The supermoto is a sweet ride.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am picking up a 2018 DRZ 400 SM with dirt tires on it Fri. It has 1000 miles on it and no modifications except handgaurds. I think i will be ordering a Seat Concept lowering seat. I am only 5' 7. Will update when i get a cpl miles on it.

Two Trax

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a BMW GS 650 for longer than I care to remember. It is geared a bit too high for dedicated trail riding but that could be fixed with a bigger rear sprocket. Stock tires are not very aggressive either, again an easy fix. I mostly use it for fire roads and game land roads. It is quite comfortable on the hard top.

I am on the shorter side with a 29 inch inseam. A lot of other bikes are simply too tall for me to be comfortable with, the GS is fine in that regard. Has been dead reliable too.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a bunch of miles on this wknd. I like the ride, but hate the seat. Anyone have a preference? I am considering the Seat Concepts low seat. Also going to install the GPS from my snowmobile on the handlebar.
Also would not recommend the headlight and will be shopping for a LED upgrade.

Attachments

• 20200808_185712.jpg
    20200808_185712.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 20

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New Seat Concepts low seat. I like that it sits lower for short legs and the width for your butt. Only downside it seems to make you lean front towards the tank.
20200814_190307.jpg

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I were a few inches taller (I'm 5'10") I would get a Yamaha WR250 (maybe even the supermoto version for bigger brakes). All of my road legal bikes have been sporty bikes, but I've always wanted a good tagged off road bike. I like the Royal Enfield Himalayan a lot as well, but it's not as off road ready as the Yamaha WR250 is. More like an "adventure" bike.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have an opinion on a very limited space gps handlebar mount? Right now I have a suction cup mount on the fuel tank.

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have an opinion on a very limited space gps handlebar mount? Right now I have a suction cup mount on the fuel tank.
yes i have a built one for my motorcycle i will post later i gotta go to work .dont have time now.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered what I wld have liked to use which was a mirror hole mount with RAM ball on it. I did not realize the RAM ball was the size it was. Turns out i need the 17mm Garmin ball. Now I know. I cant find the same mount in the 17mm ball. This is what i am leaning towards.
garmin-handlebar-mount-mc2b-1_540x540.jpg

motoOzarks

motoMonster
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would recommend a DRZ400E as I have one now. Reliable engines and they have been around for a long time with great aftermarket support. I put a lowering kit on mine so my feet can touch the ground.
I have a TW200 as well and I love it but it's maxed out on the road and although a handy trail bike it's suspension(lack of) will beat you to death off road.
My favorite of the past would be Honda XL600R. 1984 I think, factory dual carbs. Was a sweet running smooth bike with a low seat height. My employee killed it for me so I moved on. And it didn't have the magic start button.
I should have kept my old Suzuki TS250 two stroke but I didn't.
The BMW GS650 is much more of a street bike that you can take down some unimproved roads. Fuel injected, antilock rear brakes is in a class of its own. I found it a little cramped for long road runs and too big for offroad.
All bikes do something well and offer a great experience. None do it all.
DSCF0013.JPG

Jason628

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been a while since anyone has posted on here but, I have a 2015 rmz450 I am going to make street legal. I think it would be a blast to drive it down the road. I have all the lights for it and stuff to make it pass inspection minus tires and kickstand. I bought the bike new and it has very low hours on it. Almost bought the drz 400 instead.