Dolmar 64xx/73xx/79xx series, smurfs and solo 665/675/681 thread

stranter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder if anyone can ahead some light on this Makita 7900.
Colleague heard a nasty noise while pulling over his saw. Long story short I pulled the cylinder off to discover it had broken at the base! Luckily I had a spare lying about so tried to rebuild, but discovered the crankcase had cracked when I pressure/vac tested it. It appears that the force of the cylinder breaking had also cracked the case.
I ported the original cylinder, so conscious it could be something I did wrong, although never had this problem before. The build was base gasket delete and the lowers were case matched and blended, intake and exhaust were widened and smoothed, but no timing change (other than BGD). I torqued down the cylinder bolts with locktite to spec also.
Any ideas what has happened here? Could it be a casting flaw?
b3ad0b9fb23831be7981c931028ebec8.jpg

I’ve had another one come in!
This time the saw was completely bone stock, bought new and used production falling for over a year trouble free. Customer couldn’t get it started, so I took a look. Long story short, I pressure tested it and found it leaking from the same spot in the pto side crankcase which is cracked. I haven’t bothered to take the cylinder off to see if that is broken too.
Has anyone else come across this/ shed any light as to what has happened?