Does anyone do bar grinding and repair?

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The title is suppose to say grinding not finding I can’t edit the title ‍♂️

So I bought a pferd bar file, and a roller tool to bring the groove back to new. I used the file yesterday on my tsumara bar and it doesn’t want to file at all. I used it on a husky bar and it works perfect, takes noodles of metal off at a time. Not sure if the bar got hot or it’s just the metal they use. Bar looks straight, just won’t file. I’m gonna try it on a couple others I have today and see if there is any difference. Just wondering if anyone here has a bar shop or a bar grinder and does that kind of work. I can ship a few bars and get them done if it wouldn’t take too long. Or maybe invest in a bar grinder, so I can freshen up these bars when it is time. I’ve seen the grinder they have on baileys, but don’t know if there are other options out there.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Tsumura and other high quality bars are too hard for the file to get a decent bite. A large disk sander with 80 grit works well. I've seen a few people use a disk sanding plate in a table saw for just a few bars.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A square grinding stone does the trick for me on those 2-3 really hard bars I own, one of them is a grey Oregon bar - Stihl flat file can't touch it.

Modern/nowadays files are just too damn soft!

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some bars have hardened rails, used to be they all did. Files - there some real good ones out there but the stuff generaly at the various stores seems to be a lower grade. Nicholson was always a good brand last couple i bought were good anyway. as my disc sander is down right now I used a 1" belt sander, table type - but I had to play with it a bit. The bars will stand on there own on edge if done correctly. just did 4 bars. they stand on their own, but haven't had a chance to put them in wood yet. I did order some better quality bars that are supposed to have harden edges. will see when they arrive. these are not super expensive units.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheap table saw off craigs list or the like. A 7"-10" old saw blade ( grind off teeth, not the real thin ones though) and stick on sanding discs works well . The larger table area makes it real easy vs those very small ones on those little disc sanders . been doing this stuff for more than 30 years learned a few tricks along the way. Backing plate on small belt sanders are not all that great and getting things to stay square is iffy.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a 12" disc grinder and 6"x48" belt sander to bring bars back to life. It can really make a difference in getting additional life out of them... I spend probably less than 10 minutes to make one nice. (I don't paint them)