Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have this large oak tree that fell on my back field. I have cut up the top of the tree for firewood. The trunk is about 17' x 34", and have no way to move it without dragging it through my back field. I was wanting to Mill into slabs for future projects, dining tables for the kids, etc. So I have been looking for a large saw that can handle it. That rabbit hole has me thinking about making a mill to cut up this tree where it is.

My current saws are a Stihl 029, a shindaiwa 488, and a wild thang! I know, it just won't die! The Stihl becomes gutless once it heats up, not the vent or carb or filter. The compression is about 135 psi. I just ordered an 039 PC rebuild kit from hlsupply, and some dirko HT from ebay. The Shinny is great. The wild thing is disgustingly reliable, it annoys me that it runs so well.

My question is, will the 039 have more oompf than the 488? What do I do about the large oak? I keep going in circles.

Thanks

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have this large oak tree that fell on my back field. I have cut up the top of the tree for firewood. The trunk is about 17' x 34", and have no way to move it without dragging it through my back field. I was wanting to Mill into slabs for future projects, dining tables for the kids, etc. So I have been looking for a large saw that can handle it. That rabbit hole has me thinking about making a mill to cut up this tree where it is.

My current saws are a Stihl 029, a shindaiwa 488, and a wild thang! I know, it just won't die! The Stihl becomes gutless once it heats up, not the vent or carb or filter. The compression is about 135 psi. I just ordered an 039 PC rebuild kit from hlsupply, and some dirko HT from ebay. The Shinny is great. The wild thing is disgustingly reliable, it annoys me that it runs so well.

My question is, will the 039 have more oompf than the 488? What do I do about the large oak? I keep going in circles.

Thanks
Not enough for what you wanting
Imho
Try to find a used large bore saw
Whatever brand you like.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've milled a good bit of chestnut and white oak , although I generally prefer the 039 step up for the 029 that log is gonna spank that saw.
A 76cc and above is required for that type of wood. 660, 880,070,090,394xp,395xp,3120, or an old 100cc saw should do. If your pretty handy a gear drive whatever is nice for milling also.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've milled a good bit of chestnut and white oak , although I generally prefer the 039 step up for the 029 that log is gonna spank that saw.
A 76cc and above is required for that type of wood. 660, 880,070,090,394xp,395xp,3120, or an old 100cc saw should do. If your pretty handy a gear drive whatever is nice for milling also.

By gear drive, are you talking a bar mill, or is there a gear drive saw? I was not planning to use my current saws for this tree. I asked the guy about the 2094, waiting to hear back.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By gear drive, are you talking a bar mill, or is there a gear drive saw? I was not planning to use my current saws for this tree. I asked the guy about the 2094, waiting to hear back.

The 2094 is going to be the best option as long as it cleans up & you are mechanically inclined.

Gear Drive saws are old, old, & slow, slow.

Parts availability is going to be a major challenge with the Gear Drives.

2094/95 or 395 Hushee will be a much better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If parts availability is a concern for you then the 395 ,660 are good choices.
Yes there are chainsaws with a gear reduction clutch, homelite had them for a long time and honestly they very rarely wear out so parts aren't really a concern because everything is metal.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A deep dive into the rabbit hole is what you are considering. If you have a place to dry stack some lumber, and can get a supply of logs, then dive in.....but just to mill up one log?

I have a pretty big building I can stack some lumber in, the one oak log has got me looking at all the trees on my property. I have some 20-26" pines I was going to remove as they are closer to the house than I would like and block my view of the back fields. This rabbit hole is deep, and I am treading carefully. I am starting to feel like I am coming down with CAD, which may complement my GAS, (gravely acquisition syndrome). I do not see myself milling constantly, but when an opportunity for some quality lumber presents itself.

I was toying with the band saw mill idea also, but even if I were to make my own, I would be stuck with storing it. Which would find itself in the back of the building eventually. Saws don't take up as much room,(until you have 50 of them), which I am not "planning" to have. I am leaning towards a 90+ cc saw as of right now. You know how rabbit holes are though.

Thanks,
Larry

Looks like you are over near Jamestown. I get out there occasionally for work. Maybe you know Tim and Rhonda?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a pretty big building I can stack some lumber in, the one oak log has got me looking at all the trees on my property. I have some 20-26" pines I was going to remove as they are closer to the house than I would like and block my view of the back fields. This rabbit hole is deep, and I am treading carefully. I am starting to feel like I am coming down with CAD, which may complement my GAS, (gravely acquisition syndrome). I do not see myself milling constantly, but when an opportunity for some quality lumber presents itself.

I was toying with the band saw mill idea also, but even if I were to make my own, I would be stuck with storing it. Which would find itself in the back of the building eventually. Saws don't take up as much room,(until you have 50 of them), which I am not "planning" to have. I am leaning towards a 90+ cc saw as of right now. You know how rabbit holes are though.

Thanks,
Larry

Looks like you are over near Jamestown. I get out there occasionally for work. Maybe you know Tim and Rhonda?

I never planned on fifty saws either, milling was the gateway drug to cad for me, which lead to saw repair and porting saws and wanting to "collect" every one I see. I started with a 36" Granberg and a 281xp Husqvarna, then added a 272xp and a mini mill to do edging so I didn't have to roll the log any. I traded some welding work for the saws for a land clearing company. They had some older ones that weren't in use any longer and that was my in for a pro saw. I will say one thing, I would highly recommend going with a real Granberg mill and not a cheap Chinese knock off of the Alaskan as the folks at Granberg will help you with any needs you may have besides backing up what they sold. That and see what a pro end user in your area might have for an older saw to get you started.
There are also several "mills" out there that you clamp your saw into and push down a track as an option otherwise about the absolute cheapest intro band mill I can think of would probably have to go to Harbor Freight. Careful though, once you go band mill, there's no turning back, find a Wood Mizer dealer in your area to have band mill blades sharpened.
Good luck!

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A good 075 / 076 super is ideal here. Don’t attempt it with the current saws you have it’s a waste of time.