Do All Stihl Saws Have an Impulse Line?

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 021. Is there an video that discusses replacing the impulse line? Symptoms: Idles up and down when you put the saw down. Sometimes it idles so low it cuts out. Otherwise, everything else is fine - easy starts, good throttle response. Thanks.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it will have a piece of regular rubber line between cylinder and a plastic barb on back of the air filter housing. I’d say it’s more likely on that saw that the carb gasket which is between the carb and housing is leaking or crank seals are going. The carb requires the gasket to be good because the impulse is pulled through the carb body on this saw instead of having a barb that hooks right to line. I also had one saw of this series that ran poor at times and great others. Turns out Stihl didn’t use enough sealant on the pan snd it was sucking air as it heated up.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lehman: That sounds right. If the saw is hot, it runs worse. What type of sealant, and does it go right around the carb gasket? Other question: Is replacing crank seals a real PIA or not too bad? I'm fairly mechanical, but admit I don't know crap about chainsaws. Thanks.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It just takes some time to replace them, they use a sealant called dirko from the factory. But i use motoseal from permatex usually. If you dive that deep I’d spend 14$ on crank seals. They have expensive ones that you can drive in or cheap ones that you need to pull who to put in

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would a bad intake boot also cause this problem? At high rpms, throttle squeezed tight, I get a little bit of fluttering. Not enough to make the saw crap out, but you can hear it. Is this more of a carb adjustment, or also related to the boot? Thanks.