High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

DIY gasket thread

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you are working on any chainsaw over 15 years old, chances are you may need to make a gasket. If you are rehabbing a vintage saw, I can almost guarantee you will need to reproduce the gaskets unless you are lucky enough to find or have NOS parts.

This is just a quick how-to thread that should give you the confidence to make your own gaskets and revive your saw.

Materials required:
Gasket material of proper thickness
Sharp pencil
High-lighter or crayola marker - blue works best for me
Hammer
Hollow punch
Sharp utility /exact-o knife

Optional:
Protractor/compass/straight edge
Permatex ultra copper spray-a-gasket

I had a junk case, so I sliced it on my bandsaw to create a template. I can trace this easily with my sharp pencil. An alternative would be to color the sealing surface of the case with blue marker, then press it firmly on the gasket paper to transfer the "template" that needs to be cut.

20161210_133139-1.jpg
Then, carefully punch the holes. I like to do this first as the gasket is strongest at this point. Then, carefully cut the outline with your knife.

20161210_140227-1.jpg

Finish up with a coat of spray-a-gasket. This enhances the seal, and helps the gasket stay in place during installation.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good thread idea! I am kinda sick of using tissue box card and other botchy materials to make dodgy gaskets. I like the idea of the liquid copper gasket spray. What brand of gasket card do you use? Is it available on eBay?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have various "punches" made from brass shell cases. I have various sizes to match various holes. Rifle cases work best, but pistol cases will work also. We have to make a lot of gaskets for old farm equipment when we can't get them or the dealer wants three times as much. You can also lightly tap the gasket material with a plastic mallet when you hold it up to the mating surface. It may not work on saws, but works great on tractors and gearboxes of equipment.

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I LOVE the copper spray a gasket. Working on vintage bikes, and with a limited budget/time I regularly make my own gaskets. Recently, I wanted a thinner head gasket for a DS185 build, so I traced the original 1.21mm aluminum gasket onto some aluminum flashing (around .25 mm I think) and used the spray goop to make it all seal up. Just a word of caution- if using thinner paper material, it has a tendency to make them curl up as it dries.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Grizzly sells a super nice punch set that really improved my gasket making...

Ill go get a pic.

Attachments

• 1482447496028-1039883354.jpg
    1482447496028-1039883354.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here is the gasket I made installed - ready to mate case halves.

Notice I leave it longer than needed at the cylinder base. Once assembled, I will trim flush with a sharp razor blade.

1000464.jpg

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good stuff.

One way that's worked well for me If you have a flatbed scanner hooked up to your computer or have access to one; scan the old gasket if it's in good shape or the part you need the gasket to fit and save the file as a pdf.

Print the file at full size or 100%.

This will give you an actual size template.
Check it against the part to make sure.

Cut around the perimeter of the template with scissors.
Cut a piece of gasket material slightly larger than the template and tape the template to the gasket material with clear tape.
Make sure any tape used doesn't wrap around to the underside onto the gasket material.

Apply clear tape anywhere you intend to punch or cut.

Use a hole punch (I use a leather punch for all the small holes) to cut all the holes out.

Cut all internal parts out first with a sharp knife. I like to use an Exacto knife.

The final cut is the gasket perimeter. The template will detach itself from the gasket material when the perimeter is cut.
A pair of scissors works well here.

If I have to scan something large like a case half, I throw some thick towels over the scanner to keep the light out.

The nice thing about this method is that you will have a template on file if you need to cut more in the future.

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 for scanning or photocopying. I was able to have a few gaskets photocopied onto heavy card stock at work and they have worked great.

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I first got into leatherworking, I often would use a .22 case as a punch. Looks like that could be used here as well. Im sure a .223 would work better but I have never had any of those laying around.

I have so many punches now it is hard to keep track of them all.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 for scanning or photocopying. I was able to have a few gaskets photocopied onto heavy card stock at work and they have worked great.

+2

I use the stapler off the kitchen desk to attach the 'print' to the gasket material. Less chance of tape letting go. And no shifting around.

Jiles

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Nice informative thread. May I add a suggestion:
Over the years I have made hundreds of gaskets, from large case gaskets to small carburetor gaskets.
You can simply clean the gasket surface and then apply a very thin coat of Vaseline to surface.
Place gasket material carefully down onto the greased area, press firmly down, with fingers, all around the mating surface without moving gasket.
Lift straight up and you will have a perfect "stained" outline of gasket.
I might add that this works better on some gasket material, especially if it is clean and flat.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
5:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice thread!!

I've to go the same route myself, 242 gasket is NLA nowadays, best to start while I got oem gaskets left...

Anyone has experience with Victor Reinz AFM serie gasket materiale?

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool thread Four Paws. Photo copying gaskets is a great idea! Have to remember that one! Tried the rifle brass, works great on a wood bench...nice ckean holes..Anyone ever "hammer" a gasket? Basically lay the paper gasket material on the surface reqiring the gasket...tap lightly on the edge of the part with the gasket material on top. The paper will be cut by the sharp edge of the metal part....I have found a wood block, wood mallet works very well and minimizes risk of deforming the machined metal gasket surface. This doesnt the mark the paper...it actually cuts it. The bolt holes can be a little more difficult but as mentioned the brass cartridge casing works great. Found this Info on a hot rod forum.