Dixon deck spindles

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My youngest son is in his small engines class. So, for a home project. We we're going to check to see the inside of my mowers spindles. Dixon 2654GT. What we thought would be a fun sunday afternoon project. Is now in week 3. The problem. Steel bolts in aluminum housings. They bolt I to them. I used a propane torch to get 6 of the 12 out. The other 6 broke with almost no force at all. I've tried to drill them out with my drill press. I've gone threw 4 drill bits and 3 of my tungsten carbide bits for carving saw cylinders. I'm asking what you would use to get the other 5 out. Im really not keen on spending $65 for each spindle to get them back on. If it's a new bit or set to buy, that's fine. They'll get used. They are about a 1/4 size in metric. I'm going g to make them 5/16 and bolt threw.20230128_192130.jpg20230128_192121.jpg

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those look like Husqvarna spindles do the bolts have a little nub sticking out of the bottom? Sometimes you can use that to back it out usually I just cus a lot because usually I break them off when I really need to mow. I believe it is the same as the Husqvarna ones and if it is stens makes a bare housing which is a good option and the bearings are 6203 on top and 6204 on the bottom of I remember right. Here is a link to the housing might stink to pay the money but may save a lot of frustration
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165678069286

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those look like Husqvarna spindles do the bolts have a little nub sticking out of the bottom? Sometimes you can use that to back it out usually I just cus a lot because usually I break them off when I really need to mow. I believe it is the same as the Husqvarna ones and if it is stens makes a bare housing which is a good option and the bearings are 6203 on top and 6204 on the bottom of I remember right. Here is a link to the housing might stink to pay the money but may save a lot of frustration
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165678069286
Yep. The silly nub out the bottom it is. I might have to order 3 new ones. Thanks for the link. But, is there any bit you could use to hog out that bolt? I was kinda hoping so. Partly because education. Partly because new tools!

Last edited:

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never had great luck getting them out when I do I usually just heat and use the nub with vise grips. When I put new bearings in now I don't take the spindle out I take the deck right off and just take the shaft out.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My youngest son is in his small engines class. So, for a home project. We we're going to check to see the inside of my mowers spindles. Dixon 2654GT. What we thought would be a fun sunday afternoon project. Is now in week 3. The problem. Steel bolts in aluminum housings. They bolt I to them. I used a propane torch to get 6 of the 12 out. The other 6 broke with almost no force at all. I've tried to drill them out with my drill press. I've gone threw 4 drill bits and 3 of my tungsten carbide bits for carving saw cylinders. I'm asking what you would use to get the other 5 out. Im really not keen on spending $65 for each spindle to get them back on. If it's a new bit or set to buy, that's fine. They'll get used. They are about a 1/4 size in metric. I'm going g to make them 5/16 and bolt threw.View attachment 363007View attachment 363008
You have access to a welder? Could try welding a nut to the top of the broken stud like they do with broken studs in cylinder heads

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i think the manufacturs do that on purpose, the bolts that come with new spindles look like self tappers, i think they want them to seize in the hole so the spindle cant work itself loose

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have access to a welder? Could try welding a nut to the top of the broken stud like they do with broken studs in cylinder heads
Welder is a good idea I have done that but usually if they don't back out with the little nub they ain't coming out they are like self tappers and once they are in they are in

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. I don't. I'm always looking for a cheap one. Just at the prices asked for in my area. It's not in my budget. Yet. Working on it. Between all the PC building and saw stuff I do. It'll happen some day.

Last edited:

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you check the bearing pockets on the bottom bearings to make sure they are not loose? Sometimes they egg out they it's not worth fixing anyways

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So an update. As I have only this afternoon off for the next.........while. I talked to our lead machinist where I work. And he handed me a 9/32 endmill. He advice, "the slower the better. Keep flooding the chips out with oil". So I did. Until one of the ends broke off. Breaking the endmill with it. 20230130_181728.jpg

20230131_061015.jpg
Yep.
20230131_061026.jpg

It was working great until then. No pilot holes needed or anything.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SPEED TIGER IPVE Carbide Square End Mill for Stainless Steel - Unequal Flute Spacing & Helix Design - Anti-Vibration - 4 Flute - IPVE1/4"4 - Made in Taiwan (1 Piece, 1/4") https://a.co/d/76ZjFv1

Then I found this after consulting him again. I wanted to know what to properly get. 4 flute. ALTIN coating. Pure carbide. It, slowly, took the other 3 out and is still sharp. And it was only $14ish to me. Throw in the obligatory "I wish I had known this sooner" and 2 of the 3 spindles made it. The drill press kept a 510 rpm and slowly kept at it. I applied just enough pressure to get it to start to eat and did my best to keep it there. The only nerve wracking part was to slowly get it lowered to flatten out where it broke off. Once it was flat, it was game on.
20230204_130816.jpg
20230204_130821.jpg

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are in this pretty deep, why not pop out the bearings, pull the inner shields and drill a hole to add a grease zerk ?

Probably never have to repair or replace any of those spindles if you do

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If replacing the broken one with an AM spindle, it may cut higher or lower that the oem. I have had that kind of luck.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are in this pretty deep, why not pop out the bearings, pull the inner shields and drill a hole to add a grease zerk ?

Probably never have to repair or replace any of those spindles if you do
I don't consider $14 for a tool to be too deep. And the small hole has already been done. And as for the spindle. That broke off when being reamed out. So that was going to break off when being bolted back on. That's a wash. Was going to happen anyways.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't consider $14 for a tool to be too deep. And the small hole has already been done. And as for the spindle. That broke off when being reamed out. So that was going to break off when being bolted back on. That's a wash. Was going to happen anyways.
Pretty deep time wise.
You’ve gone through all of this effort, why not take a few more minutes and make them greaseable ??

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like a lot of effort going into a 28 dollar replacement part with a greaseable spindle
Screenshot_20230207-214002.png

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like a lot of effort going into a 28 dollar replacement part with a greaseable spindle
View attachment 364072

Amazing thing about greaseable spindles, the bearings are sealed. You still have to knock them apart to remove the seal that faces the inside.
The grease zerk is a selling point, but most customers don't grease them anyways. So, they install sealed bearings.