High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Discontinued Stihl BR340 part name

craftydad

New OPE Member
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi, This is a long shot but thot I’d ask. Awhile ago I brought my 20 yr old Stihl backpack blower BR340, to an authorized dealer for repair - it won’t start.
They said it needs a part that Stihl discontinued and are out of stock, so they can’t fix it. But, it’s possible some other place in the country might have it. They said the part name - a small part - can’t recall if it’s part of the carburetor or motor. It had a funny name I’ve never heard of before. P plug comes to mind but I know that’s not it.
Would anyone know part Stihl stopped making on the BR340? I’d rather not have to bring it in again just to find the part name.
Pete

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a Stihl guy, but post any images you can and maybe someone who knows will pass through.
Some things are common enough to identify that there's a good chance someone will know what it is.

I see that you're a new member. Hope you like the place!

craftydad

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not a Stihl guy, but post any images you can and maybe someone who knows will pass through.
Some things are common enough to identify that there's a good chance someone will know what it is.

I see that you're a new member. Hope you like the place!
Hi, This is a long shot but thot I’d ask. Awhile ago I brought my 20 yr old Stihl backpack blower BR340, to an authorized dealer for repair - it won’t start.
They said it needs a part that Stihl discontinued and are out of stock, so they can’t fix it. But, it’s possible some other place in the country might have it. They said the part name - a small part - can’t recall if it’s part of the carburetor or motor. It had a funny name I’ve never heard of before. P plug comes to mind but I know that’s not it.
Would anyone know part Stihl stopped making on the BR340? I’d rather not have to bring it in again just to find the part name.
Pete

I found the receipt - it’s a Welch plug on the carburetor. I could replace the carburetor if I knew which one to get. At diyspareparts, it appears there’s a “HD-28D” carb and an “L WT-580” carb. Both say for the BR-340 backpack blower. Anyone know how to tell which one I have, or which one to buy?

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The carburetor will be stamped or printed with the model number on the body of the carb. Usually on the opposite side from the adjustment screws. Closer to the fuel pump cover.

BR 340 use either HD-28 HD-29 HD-45
BR 340L use the WT-580

All three of the HD series carbs use a K10-HD Repair kit. Which will have your welch plug.

The WT series carb use repair kit K20-WAT will also have the welch plug.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some pictures might help as well.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
craftydad There should be a set of numbers stamped into the side of carburetor body.
Not my best photography, but take a look at these shots.
You can probably see the numbers where I circled them on the upper left corner of the carb body.
Your numbers should be different from mine though, as this carburetor is for some other piece of equipment and not a Stihl blower.
I believe jmester knows much more than me, as to what carb fits your blower.

Let me see if I can get a shot of the area where a typical welch plug would be located.

Attachments

• IMG_5439 50.JPG
    IMG_5439 50.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5439 50t.jpg
    IMG_5439 50t.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Craftydad Take a look at these images of a random carb from my treasure :rolleyes: pile.
While not your exact model again, hopefully, this will provide a basic concept of what you are looking to repair.

Image one- shows the identifier numbers "WA-134A" in the red circle.

Image two- look in the left of the image and notice that shiny steel cover/plate with the raised round dimple in it.
That is the metering diaphragm cover.

image three- a strait on view of the metering diaphragm cover.
There should be 4 screws holding it at the corners (at red circles), but as you can see one is already missing from this unit.

Image four- now we have the screws out and the cover removed.
Take careful notice of how that black diaphragm is oriented.
See where the green arrow is pointing at the riveted head of the metal piece?
That will have to be put exactly back the way it is showing here.

Image five- This particular carburetor has two welch plugs (in red circles).
They will vary in size/diameter by the carburetor models that they are intended for.
They sometimes can be made in shapes other than round.

The following tidbit hangs up a lot of folks when they get it backwards!
Also take notice of how the diaphragm is positioned so that it lays on TOP of the gasket (that is still attached to the body).
Notice how the other side of that metal piece (green arrow) looks and how it needs to be positioned when installed.
See how the two tabs/ears (on both the diaphragm and the gasket) fit over the small raised pins on the carb body?
Those tabs need to fit over the pins in order to properly align the gasket and the diaphragm when installed.

Attachments

• img 1 .JPG
    img 1 .JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 2
  • img 2.JPG
    img 2.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 2
  • img 3.JPG
    img 3.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 2
  • img 4.jpg
    img 4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 3
  • img 5.JPG
    img 5.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
P.S. IF you decide to work on the blower for yourself?
Take many photographs as you go.
Starting from before you remove the first part from the blower itself.

And don't forget to stop and make sure that the camera is focusing on the part that matters.
For some reason, (as often seen hereabouts) cellphones seem to be awfully difficult to get focused on the part that we're looking for.

But on another note, We've seen a lot of good shots of peoples shoe toes or else the wall behind their bench! :D

Last edited: