Dirty Hand Tools 22 ton

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just thought I would give anyone a heads up that is looking for a cheap splitter, these are at my local lowes for $899, on sale, part number 106080(Kohler engine). With my dad's .Mil discount, $860ish out the door. This was built in Feb 2017 and looks like it has sat outside for several months. I looked at several and wanted the Iron & Oak 26 ton but with a friend going in half, he didn't have that much to give. The DHT 22 ton seemed to be the fastest and cheapest.

We were using a older 12 ton with a slow cycle time, while it worked, not very productive. The DHT is much faster and being able to split vertical sure helps with the big rounds. Haven't tried any green stuff but all the seasoned we have has been no problem.

I'd like to have a better axle and tires, they only recommend going 45mph or less. Good thing our wood lots are 1/4 mile apart. I have built a table vs. buying theirs, will try to get some pics up of it soon. If you don't have the materials and welder, buy their table, lol.

Attachments

• DHT1.jpeg
    DHT1.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 76

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a decent little unit. I do love the vertical tilt splitters. I tend to go for the big 'ol heavy dense trunk wood that nobody else wants and have no interest in lifting them up to split.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
6:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the money, I don't think you could go wrong.
Looks like a nice splitter and 22 tons is probably all you'll ever need.
I have a neighbor with a 22 ton and I have a 34 ton. We often work together, using both splitters. We've never had to use the big splitter because the small one couldn't split a piece of wood.
I think you made a good choice.

I only split vertical. I have a 40" Pickaroon and pile the rounds close enough to the splitter that I can reach them with the hook. I sit on a round and pull the wood to me, split and toss the splits into a pile or a trailer. Really saves the back and is very quick. If you don't have a Pickaroon, you might want to look into one. Great tool for firewood.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my friends bought one. We used it several times, running horizontally. It took about three hours to assemble it. We rate it a best buy, no doubt about it. Menards sells one almost the same for about the same price. Take your pick. Add the price of the oil and fuel and sales tax to the package. And, yes, don't tow it down the highway at 60 mph.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@teacherman isn't this the one you got?
I have the 27, which I recommend. It was $1039 at Home Depot online. Same engine, slightly longer cycle time. I have found it to work well, though it rattled and clanked a lot, so I replaced the tilt pivot pin with a 5/8" bolt and shims, and shimmed the top cylinder shackle. It struggled some on big knotty rounds of elm and oak, but it got through them, and is definitely adequate. I am only a vertical user; I do not want to lift a 100+ lb. round to waist height, AND having tried it horizontal, it seems FAR less safe to me with respect to keeping my hands safe with the wedge and the possible pinch points. That's just me. I haven't even put the log catcher on. I would get the 27 ton rather than the 22, but others have said the 22 is fine and sufficient!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Kohler engine just might make the DHT worth buying, either 27 or 22-ton. Hard to believe that, but if the engine fails to start in winter, what good is the splitter? My experience has been than Honda and Honda knockoff engines have trouble starting in winter. That includes now.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Kohler engine just might make the DHT worth buying, either 27 or 22-ton. Hard to believe that, but if the engine fails to start in winter, what good is the splitter? My experience has been than Honda and Honda knockoff engines have trouble starting in winter. That includes now.

My Honda GX390 will start when I is below zero. I haven't noticed that problem. I do find it hard to start after it has set for an extended period. This is the same with other Honda GX series.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Honda GX390 will start when I is below zero. I haven't noticed that problem. I do find it hard to start after it has set for an extended period. This is the same with other Honda GX series.
I wish I could say the same. I'm going to replace my splitter's engine this spring. I've tried everything -- possibly it's a defective carb with a mind of its own. There are several replacement engines available that might work better. I had no trouble last year but lots of trouble this year. She's a gone goose.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simple update. My Honda knockoff engine started on the first choke pull yesterday noon and ran fine for three hours. I split a whole truckload, shut it off, and then restarted it again for awhile. No problems. Here's why I think it ran:

(1) At noon the temperature was 40 F.
(2) Humidity was down to 50%.
(3) Sun was shining.
(4) No snow or rain had fallen for five days.
(5) The choke and carb then delivered fuel to the combustion chamber.

The combination of high humidity and rather low temperature (below 30 F) turns this engine into a basket case. No fuel then makes it into the combustion chamber and the plug is bone dry. It's as if the choke no longer works.

Comments appreciated.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the 27, which I recommend. It was $1039 at Home Depot online. Same engine, slightly longer cycle time. I have found it to work well, though it rattled and clanked a lot, so I replaced the tilt pivot pin with a 5/8" bolt and shims, and shimmed the top cylinder shackle. It struggled some on big knotty rounds of elm and oak, but it got through them, and is definitely adequate. I am only a vertical user; I do not want to lift a 100+ lb. round to waist height, AND having tried it horizontal, it seems FAR less safe to me with respect to keeping my hands safe with the wedge and the possible pinch points. That's just me. I haven't even put the log catcher on. I would get the 27 ton rather than the 22, but others have said the 22 is fine and sufficient!

Good idea, mine rattles like a mofo also when vertical.

Got around 20 hours on it so far, did several 32" rounds Saturday with one nasty knot that would not split. I'm still impressed with it for the money.

Changing the oil to synthetic seemed to help starting but it doesn't get real cold here.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You fix it yet?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You fix it yet?
Not to my knowledge, but nobody knows why warm dry air is all that it needs to start immediately. High humidity turns it into a lame duck. I've tried gas additives to no avail. One guy suggested spraying the air filter with ether the next time it goes on strike. That I have not tried.

In all cases, the spark plug is dry as a bone and receiving no fuel from the carb, choked or not choked. When the sun comes out and the air dries out, she then fires immediately and runs perfectly with no hesitation or misfires.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But is it sparking and a good spark ?I've known high humidity to allow the spark to go other places. IE you get a weak spark.. Worth a spray with wd40 on all ignition parts (ht lead ) to see if it helps. A dirty ht lead was damp and allowed the spark to be weaker.. Just a thought...

Edit; even a dirty kill switch corroded .? can do this, try disconnecting the kill switch or see if you get any continuity to ground.
I had a strimmer not that long ago, the top of the coil was dirty, and when damp it would not start, the reason dirt and moisture earthed it out as if the switch was off.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But is it sparking and a good spark ?I've known high humidity to allow the spark to go other places. IE you get a weak spark.. Worth a spray with wd40 on all ignition parts (ht lead ) to see if it helps. A dirty ht lead was damp and allowed the spark to be weaker.. Just a thought...
Ditto yes sounds electrical from his description now.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to my knowledge, but nobody knows why warm dry air is all that it needs to start immediately. High humidity turns it into a lame duck. I've tried gas additives to no avail. One guy suggested spraying the air filter with ether the next time it goes on strike. That I have not tried.

In all cases, the spark plug is dry as a bone and receiving no fuel from the carb, choked or not choked. When the sun comes out and the air dries out, she then fires immediately and runs perfectly with no hesitation or misfires.
Next time it dont start put a bit of gas in the intake or spray carb cleaner if it still dont pop its electrical possibly if you tested it right. Wrong would be if you flooded it.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to apologize to OP for hijacking this thread, but it's kind of a a mess. Thousands of these Honda knockoff engines are being sold, and no one really knows how long they last, and in my case, I have one that is showing that it does not do well in winter.

Cold air coupled with moisture leads to air that is almost saturated because the colder the air is, the less moisture it can hold. That causes my Hondo knockoff to die as dead as a hammer and refuse to start. Nothing is more frustratating, especially when you have buyers begging for more firewood when it's cold. I have never had trouble with a Kohler or a Briggs like this.

When push comes to shove, what good is a log splitter in the winter that relies on a gasoline engine to operate when the engine refuses to start in the winter?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh just a little derail, ;)

I gotta Honda knock off generator works but needed fixing, I,m gonna do a little thread, your welcome to derail mine :)

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Edit; even a dirty kill switch corroded .? can do this, try disconnecting the kill switch or see if you get any continuity to ground.
I had a strimmer not that long ago, the top of the coil was dirty, and when damp it would not start, the reason dirt and moisture earthed it out as if the switch was off.
Weak spark may be the issue. But there is continuity. I'll try sealing it up the plug threads next time I take it out. If it leaks even a few air molecules, it could be causing trouble. But, if it does leak and not spark, the end result seems like it would flood rather than stay dry, so I don't know.

Dirty kill switch and/or wires/connections is yet another possibility. I'll clean that up also and do some checking there. Regardless, you have to wonder how an engine could be a dry air, sun worshiper. Dang thing belongs in Arizona, not Nebraska.

Last edited:

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just thought I would give anyone a heads up that is looking for a cheap splitter, these are at my local lowes for $899, on sale, part number 106080(Kohler engine). With my dad's .Mil discount, $860ish out the door. This was built in Feb 2017 and looks like it has sat outside for several months. I looked at several and wanted the Iron & Oak 26 ton but with a friend going in half, he didn't have that much to give. The DHT 22 ton seemed to be the fastest and cheapest.

We were using a older 12 ton with a slow cycle time, while it worked, not very productive. The DHT is much faster and being able to split vertical sure helps with the big rounds. Haven't tried any green stuff but all the seasoned we have has been no problem.

I'd like to have a better axle and tires, they only recommend going 45mph or less. Good thing our wood lots are 1/4 mile apart. I have built a table vs. buying theirs, will try to get some pics up of it soon. If you don't have the materials and welder, buy their table, lol.

I like Iron and Oak as well. I bought mine used from United Rentals. They sell every 2 to 3 years. Mine was 2 years old when I got it. They had several units to choose from between all the local locations. I went around and picked out the nicest. Got mine for $1100.00, not had a single issue with it. Mine is a 22 ton unit with the 5 hp Honda engine on it. I hadn't started it in over a 1.5 year and I was able to get mine running in 3 half hearted pulls. Last time I ran it I did put a stabilizer in the fuel and cut off the fuel and let it run til it died.

Last edited: