Difficulty Finding Good Quality Tractor Wheels

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need the front wheels not just tires, but a full assembly with a tire mounted on the rim, ready to go. Need real ball bearings, not the lousy pot metal bushings you seem to find everywhere. Also, Zerks.

Size is 15 x 6 x 6 for a Wheel Horse Garden Tractor. If you know any dealers with this, please let me know. Thanks.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on the design of the wheel, you can often replace those crappy bushings with a good ball bearing.
I have done it on some JD tractors and a hand cart that I consistently overloaded and abused.
Measure the ID and OD of the bearing and match it up.
They will be sealed bearings, but much better than the bushings.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on the design of the wheel, you can often replace those crappy bushings with a good ball bearing.
I have done it on some JD tractors and a hand cart that I consistently overloaded and abused.
I just bot some aftermarket China made bearings for use in one of the wheels, and their quality control not so hot. But, then again, they're only going to roll at 6 mph.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have thot about doing that, but unable to determine just by looking at the pictures, if those cheapo bushings can come out, and if the ball bearings can fit in the ends of the hub. It would really suck to buy the wheels, remove the bushings, and find out that the bearings can't be installed.

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
GMB74: Do you know which dealers have wheels where bearings will fit? It is hard as hell to tell from the pictures if the hub bore will accept a ball bearing. I already got burned once this week.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
GMB74: Do you know which dealers have wheels where bearings will fit? It is hard as hell to tell from the pictures if the hub bore will accept a ball bearing. I already got burned once this week.
Sorry, it is a measure and see if a ball bearing will fit type of deal. If the wheel originally came with bushings (most of the smaller, cheaper ones did) then that is what a replacement wheel will have.