trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To the 024026 black tower vent that leaks gas when you tilt it on its side? Got one here that I inspected and it looks alright, took out the grub screw and cleaned it. Still leaks. Ordered an orange umbrella but dont know if thats right, the hole in the tank is small. Or is the fix to put an Echo vent in?

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run only echo vents and adapt them to fit. They breathe very well under vacuum and lock up solid under pressure. Much less restrictive than the stock new ones.
If you can fit a fuel line through the hole somewhat tight then run the echo vent somewhere slightly remote. I have never worked on an 024/026 so I can’t tell you if there is room to put it somewhere.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a problem with those vents on the 024/026 Tom - I just make sure the Red/Orange rubber one-way check valve is installed in the tank and they've been flawless for me.

Yeah, the hole inside the tank is pretty small but it has to be because of the way the check valve installs. I use Hemostats for installation and I lubricate the valve itself good
because it has to "pop" into place.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a problem with those vents on the 024/026 Tom - I just make sure the Red/Orange rubber one-way check valve is installed in the tank and they've been flawless for me.

Yeah, the hole inside the tank is pretty small but it has to be because of the way the check valve installs. I use Hemostats for installation and I lubricate the valve itself good
because it has to "pop" into place.

So if I read you right JJ the orange umbrella is the right thing to put in. I got a duck bill but its for the other type of vent. Trying to put the 024S together and I just split the cases and I want to make it right for its new owner...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah a duck bill is for the newer vents. Those older saws were designed to have the red rubber check valve installed if the tank vent is leaking.

Be very careful when installing - they rip easily and sometimes the stem can come off.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tom,

Shaun Carr turned me on to the fact that the orange umbrellas are the same as those used in Holley carbs. Can get them in packs of 10-20 for a lot less than buying the Stihl ones.

They go in from the inside, like JJ said. I made the mistake of putting the later black duckbill in my 036 a long time ago from the inside. After 3 carbs, fuel lines, vac tests I found out it went in from the outside. Saw would lean out like nuts.

The black ones always leak without the umbrella.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Yeah, I thouht about putting the duckbill on that way, but the service manual had it going in the other way so I knew the hole it went in had to be bigger because the vent on this one is tiny. Got one coming from Dave, but if I rip it I guess I'll be hitting you up for the part number from Holley. Thanks guys.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tank vents flat out suck (for leaking) I absolutely hate a fuel leak and bar oil leak is close second. I adapted the echo to my black tower leaker. Problem solved once and for all. This after the $8 oem umbrella didn’t do squat.
I bought oe echo. China parts suck in my book

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tank vents flat out suck (for leaking) I absolutely hate a fuel leak and bar oil leak is close second. I adapted the echo to my black tower leaker. Problem solved once and for all. This after the $8 oem umbrella didn’t do squat.
I bought oe echo. China parts suck in my book
Did you put the fuel line inside or outside of the vent? I've got 3/8 fuel line that will fit outside but trying to figure out how to mount the echo with that big of a fuel line...

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you put the fuel line inside or outside of the vent? I've got 3/8 fuel line that will fit outside but trying to figure out how to mount the echo with that big of a fuel line...
I rigged it so the piece of hose went inside, then forced the barb of echo vent for a very tight connection. Fuel builds all kinds of pressure these days...