Diamond disc

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was mention one of the threads about diamond disc for chain sharpener and I have been doing a little research on one for my sharpener since I have a carbide chain here. Just wondering how well they do and if they will work just as well on regular chains when sharpening one of them. I know to take smaller bites with one as to not intentionally damage the disc but hand sharpening a carbide is time consuming with diamond coated tools.

At nearly a C note not wanting just for it be to be just laying around for those carbide only chains that currently that I have one of myself.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diamond is for carbide
CBN is for regular chain

that being said .........
After getting the diamond wheel treatment
EB0A4188-E9AE-4045-B5DD-33DFEFEA2B4C.jpeg

Before the wheel (off the roll)0820FF2E-65AA-46CA-804F-D2DA4289CAE2.jpeg

Diamond wheels will grind regular steel, however the steel tends to heat up because the diamond wheel cuts slower compared with a CBN wheel (from the same manufacturer). My thought is that if you’re going to be getting just the diamond wheel, get a course one, might help it to do the steel work cooler & faster

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda what I was thinking but getting info form someone with actual experience helps with the decision too. Normally I only hand sharpen chains here; unless, they are heavily damaged. The current grinder disc is still like new so it not a problem with regular chains.

That 3/8 LP carbide that I have is a pain to sharpen but I am having to remove some stumps here in somewhat rocky soil. It had cut fine the first five stumps but got to where wasn't feeding like it should and I have about another 20 to remove. I probably should just rent a stump grinder.

I definitely won't be buying another Carbide LP chain for the Poulan but may get a .325 for the Husqvarna 450 I have here as I would going from flat face to a normal hook face.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diamond is for carbide
CBN is for regular chain

View attachment 223201

Before the wheel (off the roll)View attachment 223202

Diamond wheels will grind regular steel, however the steel tends to heat up because the diamond wheel cuts slower compared with a CBN wheel (from the same manufacturer). My thought is that if you’re going to be getting just the diamond wheel, get a course one, might help it to do the steel work cooler & faster
DON'T DO THAT!

Those pictures of Yours remind me of the poor state my big RD3 loop is in (dull). :(

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Diamond is for carbide
CBN is for regular chain

View attachment 223201

Before the wheel (off the roll)View attachment 223202

How do you find the Carbide chain? I’ve often been curious

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ever heard of Google?

Now you got to be ready for the sticker shock too. The good ones are expensive.

Last edited:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhh, I see what you mean. It can be read either way so it does needs clarifying.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't tease the man.

One can find carbide tipped chains on eBay and the Stihl Rapid/Picco Duro 2 are great. :)

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard the USG wheels from Stihl will sharpen the carbide chains. Any truth in that?

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t know about the Stihl wheel but in tool grinding, same thing, using a wheel not intended for carbide will cause 2 things, neither pretty. One the wheel won’t cut but just rub. If you keep applying pressure to make it cut it can explode, ask me how I know, did it about 30 years ago. #2 the wheel will actually burn and load up with same results. Not saying every time but when it does it definitely gets your attention. Plus you’re pouring a ton of extra heat into the carbide.