Depth Gauges versus Rakers

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My main issue with the terminology is that guys often don't understand the function of the depth gauges; they get the cutting edges sharp, but the chain won't cut. They get confused, frustrated, and often mutter something like, "@#*&$%! 'Safety Chain!'"

As a 'depth gauge', its function is more clear: it is like adjusting a woodworking plane:

Woodworking Plane.png

Too high, and the cutting edges will skip over the wood, even if sharp.
Too low, and the cutting edges will bog down, and tear the wood, even if sharp.
If the edges are not sharp, all bets are off!

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the old timers that showed me the ends and outs of precision timber felling always used the term rakers when referring to the metal post in front of the cutter on a chainsaw
Please see Post #1.

They may also call it 'the gas pedal' on a diesel truck or Nissan Leaf too!

Philbert

Thumper88

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear the “bleeping safety chain” comment alot. Most of the time I offer to sharpen their chain. I sharpen with a file in a guide, then set the depth gauges with a flat file and it’s like magic. I try to tell people that a safety chain only really takes effect when it rotates around the tip, otherwise the secondary safety gauge is under the depth gauge and does nothing. Lot of guys here can sharpen a chain like a razor but their depth gauges are either way to high and the chain just burns. Or they take off a few licks with a good file and the chain stalls out on the clutch every time it touches wood.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depth gauges do just that. Set the depth of cut per tooth. But.... they also push the chip out of the kerf that the prior tooth has severed. So....the term raker still has some prevalence.

Cedarkerf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Soooo, they are "RaGes" ?! o_O
s-l400.jpg
Why would anybody file a precision tool or have it around a running chainsaw. I'll check my rakers when I file my Chain. I know my depth gage is good without filling