CZ 457 in .22lr

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last summer I picked up this CZ 457 in .22 LR.
I ordered a Vortex Diamond Back 4x16x44 AO scope, scope mount and rings at the same time.
I hadn't had time to shoot it, except to make sure it worked, until last week.
It only has a couple hundred rounds through it but so far I'm pleased.
After getting the scope dialed in at 50yds, I was shooting ragged holes, with an occasional flyer, with CCI SV ammo.
I look forward to trying it with some higher grade SK, Eley and Wolf ammo, when it warms up a bit.

image.jpeg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice rifle, look forward to hearing more about it. For some reason, I just now saw this thread.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@srb08 have you done rimfire lot testing before? It looks like you have done plenty of loading. Not sure if you're aware but due to the inconsistency of rimfire the typical formula for accuracy is shoot groups with every lot number you can find, immediately discard those with poor standard deviation then graph the groups. If there are a few that are close go with the one with the tightest vertical group. Once you find the lot your gun likes buy a case or two. These guys are hip to the game and understand. anschutznorthamerica.com/uploads/1/9/9/7/19975381/rws_inventory_100219_list.pdf

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last summer I picked up this CZ 457 in .22 LR.
I ordered a Vortex Diamond Back 4x16x44 AO scope, scope mount and rings at the same time.
I hadn't had time to shoot it, except to make sure it worked, until last week.
It only has a couple hundred rounds through it but so far I'm pleased.
After getting the scope dialed in at 50yds, I was shooting ragged holes, with an occasional flyer, with CCI SV ammo.
I look forward to trying it with some higher grade SK, Eley and Wolf ammo, when it warms up a bit.

View attachment 216547
How's the trigger and the ejection?

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's the trigger and the ejection?
The trigger is adjustable for pull weight, sear engagement and over travel.
I have mine set at 2lbs, which is where I like it. I've read of some going down to <1lb.
No problems at all with ejection but I haven't had a chance to shoot it a lot.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
RWS R50 Anniversary Lot # I don't remember and it's all the way downstairs. The barrel is a benchmark 2 groove with a cone breech machined by Dan Killough, it's almost creepy looking down the shiny almost smooth bore.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
RWS R50 Anniversary Lot # I don't remember and it's all the way downstairs. The barrel is a benchmark 2 groove with a cone breech machined by Dan Killough, it's almost creepy looking down the shiny almost smooth bore.

I haven't done any lot testing but am aware of it and why it's advantageous.
I haven't ventured in to the high end ammo, like R50. I shoot CCI SV, Aguila SV and Blazer, when dicking around. Wolf ME, Eley Target and several flavors of SK are my top drawer at the moment.
I'm taking baby steps.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't bought any for a while but when I was I think the high end Eley, RWS and lapua were all roughly in the same ballpark. The only other one that seemed to occasionally produce "acceptable" results was federal gold medal match for half the cost but I could never find anyone to sell specific lot numbers of it. I really love the look of your rifle.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little update. Earlier this year, while cleaning the barrel, I stuck a cleaning rod. Bore is tight, rod was oversized. I assumed it was a tight patch jag combo, so I tapped the rod slowly through. Took the jag off and expected to just pull the rod back out. Nope, it was stuck tight. Ended up having to drive the rod back out. Figured the barrel was toast. I had planned on ordering a Lilja barrel and not shooting the gun until I installed it. I changed my mind.
I shot it yesterday at 50 yds, with the bad barrel.
The group with the CCI SV is the first five shot group, after zeroing the scope.
That was the best group with that ammo but the others were pretty good as well.
I also shot a few groups with SK Std+. That ammo shows promise. I have some higher quality SK, Eley and Wolf ammo to try as well.
The gun shoots better now than before I stuck the rod.
I dumped the Lilja barrel plan.
This one's a keeper.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome! Mebbe the stuck rod just burnished the bore a little? I've read of people using grit covered bullets to do the same thing.