High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cross or Meteor top end?

Disruption70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am doing a MS290 to Ms390 top end conversion and would like to know if you had a choice between a Cross top end or a Meteor which would you use?

bagpipingtrucker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Meteor has always been a great choice for the few saws I've need new P&C's.

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there ever a time where the cross is better than a meteor? No not being a smart ass this is an honest question? I used a techomic 036 top once I bought cheap and a buddy has been cutting his firewood for five year with it now and seem to be doing well.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty fond of the cross cylinder on my 660 huztl. Really runs nice.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there ever a time where the cross is better than a meteor? No not being a smart ass this is an honest question? I used a techomic 036 top once I bought cheap and a buddy has been cutting his firewood for five year with it now and seem to be doing well.
Tecomec is one of the good ones. At least in the 365 cylinders. I have a few and the ports are pretty straight and symmetrical. Whatever they are plated with seems decent too

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meteor without question for that model
Dave

A man who would know.
I've been around long enough to remember when the Chinese full assembly MS390 hit the market.
Believe it or not I rebuilt one for a friend who had an 029. It's been cutting firewood for that length of
time. Thanks Dave for all you have helped us with over the years.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Meteor and Hyway 039 cylinders appear to be the same casting. Both have that funky semi closed port design. Paired with the Cross pop up they make a fair amount of compression (180ish) and they run very well.

Disruption70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you for all the input, its just a firewood saw and I am going to be doing some bigger trees this spring so I just want some extra power. I just might clean up the casting if needed, muffler mod it and re-tune and from what I have read and seen it should run ok for what it is. It runs ok now but its a 290 not a great saw just ok. Will be looking for an upgrade after I save up a little gold. There are so many choices and price ranges for this but the 2 it came down was cross and meteor and I am going with the meteor with cabers and new oil seals....any good sealer recomendations?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
dirko, permatex motoseal, yamabond, hondabond or three bond all work well but I use the motoseal because it’s easy to get. I have used the old permatex form-a-gasket 2 and haven’t had any issues but not sure I’d it’s truly designed for this application with fuel contact

Disruption70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's the one im ordering :), just got a little confused though called Sthil dealer for oil seals and they make 2 one is 13 dollars each and one is 22 dollars each. I asked what's the difference and he said the cheaper one is if the engine is apart and the more exspensive one is for when the engine is together. Can you even do seals without dropping the pan? Is there not a lip on the pan and jug that seal rides in? HL just had that kit on sale a week or so ago and I missed it,still a good price though.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve done many with the expensive seals just like a pro saw pull out and drive new ones in. No lips at all just pull old one and drive new in flush with outside of case. I usually throw a small smear of motoseal on the outer rim of seal before driving in.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes.
I base that on port shapes and overall finish. Meteor has nice jugs and generally very good plating. That said, their attention to port shapes and casting details is sad in some of their offerings for Stihl imo. Hyway is always moving up in quality of castings and overall port shape being correct or closer to oe in Stihl than many of the other offerings. I do believe they are listening in here :thumbsup:

To answer your question directly, yes, there are better offerings in other manufactures than Meteor for certain models. I doubt anyone will back me up on that but many know the truth and choose not to say anything. Why, I don't know.

I have never used or bought 390 jugs from Meteor for a 290/390 Stihl saw. I have bought other Meteor chainsaw jugs that were not worth installing. In fact I have three here that will require hours of port correction to even be mediocre at best. And... it won't fix the poor upper transfer port direction :vomiton22je:

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the one im ordering :), just got a little confused though called Sthil dealer for oil seals and they make 2 one is 13 dollars each and one is 22 dollars each. I asked what's the difference and he said the cheaper one is if the engine is apart and the more exspensive one is for when the engine is together. Can you even do seals without dropping the pan? Is there not a lip on the pan and jug that seal rides in? HL just had that kit on sale a week or so ago and I missed it,still a good price though.

Use the cheaper ones the others are hard seals to be used with out taking it apart

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes.
I base that on port shapes and overall finish. Meteor has nice jugs and generally very good plating. That said, their attention to port shapes and casting details is sad in some of their offerings for Stihl imo. Hyway is always moving up in quality of castings and overall port shape being correct or closer to oe in Stihl than many of the other offerings. I do believe they are listening in here :thumbsup:

To answer your question directly, yes, there are better offerings in other manufactures than Meteor for certain models. I doubt anyone will back me up on that but many know the truth and choose not to say anything. Why, I don't know.

I have never used or bought 390 jugs from Meteor for a 290/390 Stihl saw. I have bought other Meteor chainsaw jugs that were not worth installing. In fact I have three here that will require hours of port correction to even be mediocre at best. And... it won't fix the poor upper transfer port direction :vomiton22je:
So are you saying that there are models of hyway cylinders that are better than meteor?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So are you saying that there are models of hyway cylinders that are better than meteor?
In port area, yes. Plating no. I have seen intakes so small it shouldn't run that good. Terrible casting flash and just not very well directed transfer ports. Some are better than others. I don't like the 026 Meteor. Never did.