Converting round to square

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone willing to convert some of my 3/8 x .050 from round to square. I probably can keep the angles for a few hand filings after they are ground square. I obviously would cover shipping both ways and a grinding fee. Thinking three loops, two at 20” and one 24”. This is mainly for play, not for racing.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone willing to convert some of my 3/8 x .050 from round to square. I probably can keep the angles for a few hand filings after they are ground square. I obviously would cover shipping both ways and a grinding fee. Thinking three loops, two at 20” and one 24”. This is mainly for play, not for racing.
Yeah I can do it in a few weeks

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great. Just pm me an address and price. I’ll have most of my wood cutting wrapped up in a week or two. Won’t be getting into it till spring (I’m moving). So no rush.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can this thread continue? I hope so. I'm converting round to zero degrees on one chain to test.
Was considering posting a new thread in chainsaw milling with this title.

My semi chisel has to be round ground but if it is cut to zero degree....how far is it from square?
I'm just thinking the cutter is about the same on the side and the top at this setting. I get the large radius will still be on the working corner. Dirty logs is where it would be most useful imo. If I rock a chisel chain or hit steel it gets re-ground round anyway. I'm betting most guys have to do the same with their mill chains.

I grabbed up two bar mount file holder sharpener s to convert back to square accurately. My square file skills are not yet honed.

The chisel chains cut square seem to pull more chip than round on the long bar. I'm all for that on these monstrous things.

I have a loop of 404 semi chisel full skip to try zero on in 117dl.
The next chain up is 167dl. Needs all the help it can get. That chain is going to be chisel skip round ground converted to square @ fifteen degrees or possibly ten. Not sure yet.
It will take some work to get this new round ground thirty degree chain to square tooth filed.

Who has a video or pics of a round chisel chain redone to square file @fifteen or less degrees?

Anyone running semi chisel chain at zero degrees?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can this thread continue? I hope so. I'm converting round to zero degrees on one chain to test.
Was considering posting a new thread in chainsaw milling with this title.

My semi chisel has to be round ground but if it is cut to zero degree....how far is it from square?
I'm just thinking the cutter is about the same on the side and the top at this setting. I get the large radius will still be on the working corner. Dirty logs is where it would be most useful imo. If I rock a chisel chain or hit steel it gets re-ground round anyway. I'm betting most guys have to do the same with their mill chains.

I grabbed up two bar mount file holder sharpener s to convert back to square accurately. My square file skills are not yet honed.

The chisel chains cut square seem to pull more chip than round on the long bar. I'm all for that on these monstrous things.

I have a loop of 404 semi chisel full skip to try zero on in 117dl.
The next chain up is 167dl. Needs all the help it can get. That chain is going to be chisel skip round ground converted to square @ fifteen degrees or possibly ten. Not sure yet.
It will take some work to get this new round ground thirty degree chain to square tooth filed.

Who has a video or pics of a round chisel chain redone to square file @fifteen or less degrees?

Anyone running semi chisel chain at zero degrees?
Yeah, I'd say start a new thread...
two_cents.jpg