Compression test.

Coilhand

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I assembled a G660, and thought I would test compression. Was a bit sick when I only got 50-60 psi. Suspected the tester. Plugged it to a compressor with 2 guages which read within a few pounds of one another. Started the compressor and the compression guage followed the guages on the compressor right on up to 110 psi. So I decided to hook the tester to my 562xp, which runs as strong as it ever has. It showed the same 50-60psi I got on the G660. Took the G660 out to a 36"+ pin oak and sunk the 28" bar in it. Now granted I've never run a 660 of any ethnicity, but this thing certainly doesn't act as though it has low compression. I believe you could saddle it up and ride it and never bog the engine. Guys, what am I missing?

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I assembled a G660, and thought I would test compression. Was a bit sick when I only got 50-60 psi. Suspected the tester. Plugged it to a compressor with 2 guages which read within a few pounds of one another. Started the compressor and the compression guage followed the guages on the compressor right on up to 110 psi. So I decided to hook the tester to my 562xp, which runs as strong as it ever has. It showed the same 50-60psi I got on the G660. Took the G660 out to a 36"+ pin oak and sunk the 28" bar in it. Now granted I've never run a 660 of any ethnicity, but this thing certainly doesn't act as though it has low compression. I believe you could saddle it up and ride it and never bog the engine. Guys, what am I missing?
Is the Schrader valve in the tester?

Reactions: Lnk

Coilhand

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will have to look tomorrow. I believe it is in the adaptor. The gauge has a pressure dump valve and the hose has a quick connect, onto which you plug your adaptor hose for whatever size spark plug hole. When I plugged it to the compressor I was not using the adaptor, only the hose with the quick connect. So I wondered if the issue was somehow related to the adaptor hose and fitting. I'm not convinced that either of those saws has 50-60 psi.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will have to look tomorrow. I believe it is in the adaptor. The gauge has a pressure dump valve and the hose has a quick connect, onto which you plug your adaptor hose for whatever size spark plug hole. When I plugged it to the compressor I was not using the adaptor, only the hose with the quick connect. So I wondered if the issue was somehow related to the adaptor hose and fitting. I'm not convinced that either of those saws has 50-60 psi.

If it has too much before the schrader valve, low readings will result. Unlike a car engine there's just not enough volume in a chainsaw engine for any to be wasted in the test procedure.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw would not even run with 50 psi in my opinion don't believe there is any way that it's actually 50 psi

Coilhand

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All good thoughts fellows. I will look into more closely as soon as I can. I would like to be able to get an accurate compression reading if I really need it. Fortunately in thos case I think the saw has at least decent compression. Thank y'all!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As @Stump Shot says,

those pressure tester with the adapters that fit on the end just add volume and don’t work as it should.

I’d say you did the right thing and compare it with your husky. Because it got a similar reading, you know the 660 is in the same ballpark ;)

i had one of these, although it did sort of help compare a few saws, but really it was a peace of junk.
There are much better tools for the same job o_O
B186A1C5-167E-4AED-9AC7-2A3C693A2AC0.jpeg

Coilhand

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As @Stump Shot says,

those pressure tester with the adapters that fit on the end just add volume and don’t work as it should.

I’d say you did the right thing and compare it with your husky. Because it got a similar reading, you know the 660 is in the same ballpark ;)

i had one of these, although it did sort of help compare a few saws, but really it was a peace of junk.
There are much better tools for the same job o_O
View attachment 362030
Yea thanks for the reply Wonkeydonkey. I agree that when I tested the 562 it reassured me that the reading on the G660 was wrong, cause there is very little doubt on my mind that the compression on that 562 is just fine.