Compact track loader

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting close to purchasing a used low hour (less than a thousand hours)CTL...Tracked skidsteer...

Thinking Takeuchi TL8 or Kubota SVL75....Found a good deal on a yanmar T175...really clean but I've read some poor reviews by owners concerning durability/ wiring problems.

What say you folks? Good? Bad? Ugly? Are they all junk? Should I just spend the money on beer instead?

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Getting close to purchasing a used low hour (less than a thousand hours)CTL...Tracked skidsteer...

Thinking Takeuchi TL8 or Kubota SVL75....Found a good deal on a yanmar T175...really clean but I've read some poor reviews by owners concerning durability/ wiring problems.

What say you folks? Good? Bad? Ugly? Are they all junk? Should I just spend the money on beer instead?
Id lean kabota based on my experience with their tractors and friends with the track loaders. The SVL 75 v2.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know how you feel about John deere but I have some ass time in CT322 and 323e track machines and I beat them like they weren't mine because well.....they weren't. I have no complaints about them and hope to add one to my arsenal. Now these are foot and hand controls. Kubota are joystick controls which I never cared for. Why? Idk. Old habit and my feet get bored and need something to do too lol

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know how you feel about John deere but I have some ass time in CT322 and 323e track machines and I beat them like they weren't mine because well.....they weren't. I have no complaints about them and hope to add one to my arsenal. Now these are foot and hand controls. Kubota are joystick controls which I never cared for. Why? Idk. Old habit and my feet get bored and need something to do too lol
I think any skid steer type loader can have foot and hand or joystick controls. Several years ago I learned how to use a wheeled skid loader with hand and foot controls but was totally useless trying to use one with joystick controls recently. Both were Bobcat, same model even, just several years apart. Maybe Kubota is an exception, I've only used Bobcat skid steer stuff.

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
3:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Depending on what generation of machine you have each brand is good and bad. I’m around a lot of Cat and Takeuchi. It all boils down to what it was used for before you got it. You darn sure don’t want anything that’s been running a mulcher.

I’d say look at dealership support in your area and stick with a major brand. Bobcat, Cat, Takeuchi or Kubota if it were me. Pre-emission is even better.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a pre-DEF Cat diesel which has no issues and is known to go to 6000 hrs without issue. My good buddy has been a heavy equipment mechanic since the early 70’s.

He says CAT, Case and Bobcat run seemingly forever. He said to avoid New Holland because the motors tend to go at under 3000 hours.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dad had a 277B Cat that I thought was pretty amazing. I don’t remember any problems with it, even though he bought it used and ran it for a few years. Coming from a Bobcat with hand and foot controls, the joystick for me was way more user friendly.

dirter

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 2004 ASV RC60 that I use for firewooding and just about anything one would use a tractor for. With the more aggressive tracks I have it will go anywhere I’ve ever taken my Polaris Ranger. Up hill, down hill, side hill at 35 degrees, mud, snow, rocks, dry dirt......it doesn’t matter. I honestly would not trade it for a new anything else except maybe another ASV. And even then it would take one hell of a salesman. It’s got around 3500 hours and is on its second engine. I’ve had to replace some bogies and bearings along the way but it’s one hell of a machine.

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ASV and the Cat’s with that undercarriage ride awesome and are sure footed. Lots of moving parts in them though. I wouldn’t be scared of one.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wisdom, experience and input from you folks is very much appreciated. Found a very nice Bobcat T590 with 800 hrs and brand new tracks for $34,000 and a Takeuchi TL8 with bank new tracks similar hours for $40,000. The bobcat runs the newer Doosan diesel....which I've heard some no so good things about...
The TL8 runs the good old bulletproof Kubota. The TL8 is also a little bigger with more power/lift/breakout force and capacity..... Have to add $5000-$7000 for shipping for either one.

I can get a brand new Tak TL6 up here in Alaska for around an estimated $53,000 ....still waiting on exact numbers from SMS the TAK rep in Anchorage. No shipping costs and a warranty.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor has an ASV PT70 that he got a good deal on because it was pretty beat up. We went through it and fixed some wiring issues and replaced several bogies. Many grease zerks weren't taking grease as well. The Lifting arm frame was cracked several places and we took it off and another welder buddy beefed it up and got it back to like new. He picked up a battered and bruised grapple for it as well for a few hundred bucks (basically scrap price) and it has been cut apart and re-welded too. He (We) spent several months working on it (and using it between repairs) but it is in pretty good shape now. It is the joystick control type and for out in the woods, I can't imagine being happy with foot controls while getting bounced around over roots and rocks and un-even ground. My feet are planted most of the time except when on smooth ground, but I'm sure it's what you get used to. My seat time in a skid steer is pretty limited so I'm no authority on it.

We pretty much share our equipment and help each other out with most everything. It sure is great to have good neighbors that you get along with.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The wisdom, experience and input from you folks is very much appreciated. Found a very nice Bobcat T590 with 800 hrs and brand new tracks for $34,000 and a Takeuchi TL8 with bank new tracks similar hours for $40,000. The bobcat runs the newer Doosan diesel....which I've heard some no so good things about...
The TL8 runs the good old bulletproof Kubota. The TL8 is also a little bigger with more power/lift/breakout force and capacity..... Have to add $5000-$7000 for shipping for either one.

I can get a brand new Tak TL6 up here in Alaska for around an estimated $53,000 ....still waiting on exact numbers from SMS the TAK rep in Anchorage. No shipping costs and a warranty.
I know how skid loaders are used. For that money I would be shopping new as well.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have a good suggestion for you on any brand if buying an enclosed cab with AC. Front door openings need to be considered. Tak's swing away but others roll up above your head. If the machine goes down for some reason[and it will happen believe me]. If the boom if lifted somewhat you will be trapped in the cab on a swing away front door. May sound impracitcal on an engineering stand point but that is what some are building. Also Tier4 finals have both SCR and KDPF systems which require maintenance. So Tier4 interim machines maybe a better option for you. Hope this helps bud. Have a goodin. timg

Cucinel

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That would be perfect, definitely a better option. It will make the work process more efficient in my opinion and you will spend less time for the tasks which you used to do. An alternative on electrical energy is this electric skid steer, which I ordered recently and is about to be delivered. I am very excited to try it out, from what I've seen, it's doing an amazing job and is very efficient with a large amount of work.

Last edited:

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess I should finish this thread. Lol Ended up with a low hour (1070 hrs) Tak TL230. Got the seller to throw in a set of 4ft 4k lb pallet forks and the 500 hour service. Was about $36,000 total with shipping. A much better deal than anything else up here. There's actually a TL 230 for sale in Alaska right now with 3000 hours for $40,000. I'm happy with the purchase.20220703_230153.jpgScreenshot_20211112-174843.png

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess I should finish this thread. Lol Ended up with a low hour (1070 hrs) Tak TL230. Got the seller to throw in a set of 4ft 4k lb pallet forks and the 500 hour service. Was about $36,000 total with shipping. A much better deal than anything else up here. There's actually a TL 230 for sale in Alaska right now with 3000 hours for $40,000. I'm happy with the purchase.View attachment 372124View attachment 372123
Those are very nice machines.