High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

clutch spring "order" ?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
had a clutch go pooey on a Makita 6400 something and wanted to replace the springs... oh the joy...anyway the clutch sat funny on the drum and I noticed the springs are up one way and down the other...is there a "proper" way to "lace" the springs back on a clutch when replacing them ?

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I know they come with them all installed like the single one you have there. The other two are upside down, not that I know if it actually makes a difference or not.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as I know they come with them all installed like the single one you have there. The other two are upside down, not that I know if it actually makes a difference or not.

wondering if it makes any difference...this one was goofy looking the way I put it on and thought out loud..." maybe you did it wrong...dopey" ... it kinda sucks playing with the darn springs or I would mess around with them in different ways for chits and giggles

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably the easiest clutch to replace springs on of any saw. Push the spider out then the clutch basically falls apart. No tools needed. Pretty common for the rental ones to have bad springs that are stretched from overheating by a ham fisted person. 131666DA-125A-4CA3-B367-97C6D2233A07.jpeg This one and the others I have seen on saws here came with the springs facing down. So that is how I reinstalled them. I figure that way if they break, they swing out towards the drum instead of in towards the pto side of the saw with all the important vulnerable parts.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably the easiest clutch to replace springs on of any saw. Push the spider out then the clutch basically falls apart. No tools needed. Pretty common for the rental ones to have bad springs that are stretched from overheating by a ham fisted person. View attachment 261730 This one and the others I have seen on saws here came with the springs facing down. So that is how I reinstalled them. I figure that way if they break, they swing out towards the drum instead of in towards the pto side of the saw with all the important vulnerable parts.
No tools needed.. But have to fight against the spring pretty hard to get that in.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No tools needed.. But have to fight against the spring pretty hard to get that in.
If ya got fairly strong hands and good technique it’s easy after you do a few.

Last edited:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Probably the easiest clutch to replace springs on of any saw. Push the spider out then the clutch basically falls apart. No tools needed. Pretty common for the rental ones to have bad springs that are stretched from overheating by a ham fisted person. View attachment 261730 This one and the others I have seen on saws here came with the springs facing down. So that is how I reinstalled them. I figure that way if they break, they swing out towards the drum instead of in towards the pto side of the saw with all the important vulnerable parts.
yeah...so used to Stihls. easy peasy..even used to husky....not used to dolmar.... but.it will come