Clogger Chainsaw Chaps Evaluation

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of guys in the US seem to buy their chaps where they buy their saws: STIHL, Husqvarna, ECHO, etc. Labonville gets positive comments on these sites, and there are basic chaps sold on-line, or in some home centers.

In Europe, chainsaw protective pants are the standard. These are popular here with some arborists, who wear them all day; especially those who climb. The newer protective pants use high tech fabrics and materials to make them lighter, breathe better, and more flexible. Frankly, some of them also have a 'Professional' look that some guys like.

So I was very interested in the opportunity to evaluate some chaps made by a 'pants company'. 'Clogger' is a New Zealand manufacturer that has been sewing chainsaw protective wear for over 25 years, and selling here for few, including through some retailers and catalog outlets.

IMG_4399.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

There are different standards for chainsaw protection in different countries, and this can be confusing. Clogger has some technical information in the Blog on their website, which helps explain why some European stuff is not sold here, and vice-versa, along with information on chain speed ratings, and different types of protective fibers, etc. https://goclogger.com/

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why Chaps?

The choice between chaps and pants could fill a few threads by itself. For the cutting that I do, I like to remove the chaps and have my work clothes on for other tasks, without the need to find a place to change. I also don't climb. Sometimes I like the additional layers of padding, like when walking through a brushy area, and having an outer garment that repels water, and collects most of the dirt, oil, etc.

But chaps can be hot, heavy, or stiff. I like wearing mine with suspenders, to help support them, and I like them to be easy to remove at breaks to cool off. They have to cover the parts that need protection, and fit comfortably, which might vary with the individual.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husky-wrap-chaps-mod.126733/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/labonville-wrap-chaps-mod.312320/

Finally, the chaps need to hold up to use, and be easy to maintain. Many protective garments specify 'hand wash and line dry only', which gets old fast, and discourages cleaning; it's hard to do this effectively. And with shared gear, such as that used by groups I volunteer with, the sweat and mud left by the previous wearer can be less than charming.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First Impressions -1

I asked for a pair of their 'DefenderPRO' chaps, because I like the idea of a tough, nylon outer fabric, with a waterproof coating, that will hold up to dirt, abrasion, and heavy use. They also provided a pair of their 'ZERO' lightweight chaps for comparison.

Both are full-wrap styles for protection of the calf areas. Both products have the same protective rating (3,500 ft/min chain speed), and both are certified to US and Canadian standards.

IMG_4400.jpg
IMG_4402.jpg

My initial impression on receipt was very positive: the quality and appearance of the packaging, materials, finish, etc., are all very good. ***But they were not what I expected***. My image of 'chainsaw chaps' is that they are flat, orange, and bulky: these are very slim, thin, and color coordinated. Frankly, if I did not trust the company, and the UL certification label, I would assume that these are designer versions of 'homeowner' grade chaps. But their ratings exceed the US ASTM F1414 standard of 2750 ft/min by a considerable margin.

IMG_4403.jpg

Clogger states that their selection of protective fibers, and the bi-directional way that they weave them, allows them to make thinner, lighter weight chaps that prove the same protection as bulkier designs,

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert You had stated that they meet US and Canadian standards. I just wanted to clarify that any professional logging or Oil & Gas cutting in western Canada has a minimum standard of 3600 ft/min, those would come up a little short of what we look for.
Great point!

I have learned a lot about chaps (and protective pants) standards recently. Apparently, there are different Canadian standards in different parts of the country (and not just English and French regions)? Clogger discusses some of this in their Blog, which is both helpful and confusing - there is always the language of a standard, and then there is the manner in which it is officially interpreted and applied. And then there can be additional criteria applied for certain industries, by certain employers, etc.
https://blog.goclogger.com/category/chainsaw-protection-standards/

In the US, we have the ASTM standard, but the USFS has its own requirements, for example.

I was surprised to learn that if I crossed the 49th parallel I could buy STIHL chaps that looked identical to the US ones, but with different protective materials, ratings, standards, etc.! Some of this stuff is on the different STIHL websites, but you have to be looking for it.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First Impressions -2

As noted, these are slim fitting chaps. One surprise was the 'Velcro' (hook-and-loop) closure, along with the buckles, on the wrap portion of the chaps. This was an issue I had with both the Husqvarna and Labonville chaps I had purchased (links above, in second post). There was a slight learning curve to putting these chaps on with the Velcro and 5 (!) buckles per leg, as there was a tendency for folds of my jeans to get caught in there. For me, it appears easier to secure the lower portion of these chaps first, then work my way up to the waist belt: this is the opposite of how I normally don chaps.

IMG_4404.jpg

I asked for 'medium' sized chaps, partially based on my experience with other brands: I could have fit into a size 'small'. Their size guidelines run true to what I received, and I am still able to wear these comfortably with the stiff, lower, protective leg section, and with the suspenders that I normally wear with chaps.

Both the European and US specifications are 'performance based', relying on test samples secured in very specific manners. The Clogger rep noted that in a 'real world' chain strike, the speed and force of the chain would be likely to rotate the chaps on the wearer's leg, which is why they use the Velcro and 5 buckles. On some other brands of wrap chaps I have seen only 4, and even only 3 buckles. So the extra effort in donning and doffing may result in additional protection, even though, they all meet the same standard.

Philbert

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
@Philbert You had stated that they meet US and Canadian standards. I just wanted to clarify that any professional logging or Oil & Gas cutting in western Canada has a minimum standard of 3600 ft/min, those would come up a little short of what we look for.
Great point (I'm from Clogger fyi). Our chaps/trousers are all rated to 20 metres per second chainspeed, which converts to 3937 feet per minute so there should be no issues there! Screenshot_20200402-103123_Chrome.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
DefenderPro vs Zero

As noted, I asked for their 'DefenderPro' model due to the more durable outer fabric. When walking through wet, thorny brush, the heavier nylon material, with a polyurethane coating, should provide additional (non-chainsaw) protection, and hold up longer. These chaps have a harder, stiffer feel when worn, but their thin profile allows them to still be very flexible and agile, even if a bit noisy. Some of this may change after they have been laundered a few times (?).

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

O.M.G.!

The difference between the 'Zero' and 'DefenderPro' chaps is like the difference between wearing pajamas and waxed Carhartts!!! Similar thickness, and the same protection rating. Same inner fabric. The outer fabric on the Zero model is described as 'lightweight and breathable'. It is also soft, and quiet. I do not feel the need to take them off, even as I write this!

Reminds me of the difference between some 'homeowner' and 'Pro' chaps that I have - sometimes I would wear the 'homeowner' chaps when it was a short duration, low risk task, or hot out. Times when I didn't really want to put chaps on, but knew that I 'should'. But these are more of a 'Pro' grade!

The Zero fabric has an applied water resistant coating on it, that Clogger says can be reapplied if it wears off after several launderings.

Philbert

Last edited:

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fantastic review Phil, massive appreciation from the whole Clogger crew!
Just so everyone knows, it was not a paid review in any way. I sent him a couple of pairs of chaps to get his opinion on them for how they fit into the USA/Canadian market. He published this review with no revision or editing from us at Clogger.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great point (I'm from Clogger fyi). Our chaps/trousers are all rated to 20 metres per second chainspeed, which converts to 3937 feet per minute so there should be no issues there! View attachment 233485

Just to be sure do the chaps in this review have it stated that they’re rated at 20 m/s or do they just have the tag that Philbert posted in the pic stating 3500 ft/min?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evaluate and Compare

These are high end products and I am not going to jam a running saw into them to test: sorry, that's for the manufacturers to do! But I wanted to compare them against something fair, so I chose some STIHL 'Performance Wrap Chaps - 6 Layer' that I have used and like. They fit (me), have held up well, and are machine washable* and dryable - a real plus.

IMG_4412.jpg

*Note that Clogger's printed materials state that their chaps can be machine washed (warm) and line dried, although, the garment label states 'warm hand wash'. Clogger's rep assured me that these are, indeed, machine washable, which is very important to me. Most chaps I have seen, aside from the STIHL chaps sold in the US market state 'hand wash, line dry'. Anyone who has hand washed chaps understands the difference in convenience and the effectiveness of cleaning.

The difference in thickness between the Clogger (new) and STIHL (used and laundered) chaps is remarkable. Note that STIHL also sells their 'Pro-Mark - 9 layer' chaps here in the US. The thickness of the various chaps should affect how hot they are to wear, along with user agility.

IMG_4415.JPG

I may have to wait a bit, after the confinement of current events, to get a chance to try and compare these in actual cutting situations.

Some objective comparisons that I was able to make with a postal scale:
- Zero Wrap Chaps (39") 2# 7.7 oz (5 straps)
- Defender Wrap Chaps (39") 2# 13.1 oz (5 straps)
- Labonville Wrap Chaps (35") 2# 15.7 oz (3 straps)
- STIHL 'Performance - 6 Layer' Wrap Chaps (40") 3# 5.8 oz (4 straps)

Philbert

Cloggerpro

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am quite happy with my defender chaps. If not in a tree in their gen 2 zero pants I’m wearing defender chaps.
If someone use using one of my saws a pair of chaps is sent with them, if being used In My presence they will be worn, I can’t control what they do when I’m not there.
At one point I would run without chaps but had a buddy with not 1 but 2 close calls and that solved that for me. I also bought him a set of chaps.
I like the fit and finish of clogger products. So far mine have held up to quite a bit of use.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my Clogger zero pants. I also have full wrap labonville chaps from my earlier days that I still use for some quick cutting. Also for others to wear while helping me mill. If it is more than a couple quick cuts though, I go ahead and put on the pants. They are that much more comfortable to wear. If I were to be thrashing through some multiflora rose, I would wear the labonvilles only so as not to destroy the pants I hold so dear. They cost a lot more to replace. I hand wash mine. Easy enough to soak them in the laundry sink.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great review! I wear STIHL Performance Wrap chaps at work (local County Highway Dept) because that's what's provided, however when I climbed for a living I wore Clogger Zero pants and LOVED them! I wore them every day from below zero degree days (with long johns on!) to above 95 degrees in the summer. They were lightweight, breathable, and flat out comfortable!

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do we get these chaps in the US? I dont use them professionally but it would be a nice thing to have when I use a saw.

Looks like I can order from the Clogger site, free shipping wow

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do we get these chaps in the US?
Try Googling 'Clogger chaps' - there are also several arborist supply companies in the US that sell them, and ads for them should show up:

TreeStuff, Sherrill Tree, WesSpur, Northeastern Arborist Supply, Gap Arborist Supply, etc.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skinny Legs ?

As noted, these are first impressions. The feedback from other users is very helpful in providing a broader review of these products; I hope that people will continue to share their experiences and opinons, and I plan to add more of my own.

A thought came to me about how the slim legs might fit over different boots, especially some rubber Viking / Husqvarna style chainsaw protective boots that I have. These boots are somewhat heavy and awkward, but affordable ($100 - $120), that work well for wet and cold firewood cutting, even if they have no place in a tree.

I never realized how difficult it is to take pictures of your own ankles, but I tried on the DefenderPro chap with a pair of 10" high, conventional, leather, lace-up, work boots, and a pair of 16" high (!), Husqvarna, rubber, chainsaw protective boots. I was able to fit the chaps comfortably over both boots, although, I had to carefully shift the Velcro closures to their far end with the rubber boots.

IMG_4455.jpg IMG_4456.jpg IMG_4457.jpg

Would this be an expected combination? Who knows? Some guys might cut in cowboy boots, 'Crocs', fire-fighting or muck-out boots, or ballerina slippers for all I know. Some guys may have calves like tree trunks. The STIHL wrap chaps that I compared these to have a more generous range of adjustment for this, but the trade off is that they are bulkier in that area. These work for me, but there is no substitute for trying them on with your 'kit'.

Philbert

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do we get these chaps in the US? I dont use them professionally but it would be a nice thing to have when I use a saw.

Looks like I can order from the Clogger site, free shipping wow

Attachments

• 61A9F664-CD81-4577-943F-D3F751E58327.png
    61A9F664-CD81-4577-943F-D3F751E58327.png
    457.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B52502D8-F601-4846-9A0C-EED4248B1BEA.png
    B52502D8-F601-4846-9A0C-EED4248B1BEA.png
    585.7 KB · Views: 22

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent post and review as always

I think I really like the 2 upper "thigh straps" vs the single one on most chaps I have seen

Just one more way to get a "tailored fit"

My Labonville's have a total of 3 straps, my Hooski's have 4, these have 5

I would gladly add a minute or 2 to the process of putting them on each time for the added safety and security of a good fit that won't spin out of the way if you take a hit

Last edited: