Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fellow climbers: anyone climbed with an 025 or MS 250? Seems like it wouldn’t be too bad -

Pros: Has approx 3/4 more HP than a 201T; swapping to 3/8 PS chain and a 14” bar would have great cut speed; I already have an 025 in the basement begging to be cleaned up/worked on and used..

Cons: Weighs approx 1.6 lbs more than a 201T; starting saw in-tree could be cumbersome at times fighting full compression; rear handle could limit mobility..

Thoughts? Suggestions?
FYI: I am given a 201T-CM at work and know what that is capable of. Just thinking about using what I have available to me at this time for “government work” for family and friends arborist needs..

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive seen it done, just gotta be cautious dropping it down on the lanyard, suspension system is not designed to be dropped and stopped by the tank, pretty easy to smoke the av’s and then the intake boot

MotherGoose

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I generally don’t switch to rear handles saws until im chunkin wood. The top handles just feel more nimble while climbing. Even then I don’t seem to stay in the 50cc saws very long generally jump to 60+

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Try it. Start with a ported 250 or open the muffler at the least. It should do, Okay with a 16" lp. Anything less seems a waste to me. 200T is much faster, runs longer and just has the right stuff!

Next step for me is a modded 20" 361 and then the modded 362 24" non ported saws. 660 28" for the big chunks.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess it really depends on the individual. A local tree company has a guy that climbs with a MS 460 with a 32" bar, and holds that sucker out with one hand.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working top down, a few tree climbers have used Stihl 170 and 180 saws. I imagine the 250 would work instead of a 180, but you add a pound or so. Then when they have to cut a 16" trunk in half that's 20 or 30 feet up, the pull up a 361 or a Husky 257.

Frankly, to me the top handle makes the most sense for limb cutting upstairs, either the Stihl 201T or an Echo 355T.

Bmezz88

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fellow climbers: anyone climbed with an 025 or MS 250? Seems like it wouldn’t be too bad -

Pros: Has approx 3/4 more HP than a 201T; swapping to 3/8 PS chain and a 14” bar would have great cut speed; I already have an 025 in the basement begging to be cleaned up/worked on and used..

Cons: Weighs approx 1.6 lbs more than a 201T; starting saw in-tree could be cumbersome at times fighting full compression; rear handle could limit mobility..

Thoughts? Suggestions?
FYI: I am given a 201T-CM at work and know what that is capable of. Just thinking about using what I have available to me at this time for “government work” for family and friends arborist needs..
Sooner or later your going to run into a tree thats going to need chunked out and your top handle ain't going to do the job. Me personally, I like blowing tops out with my 550xp and working the spar as far down as I can with it. Bigger saws in the tree are always cumbersome. I try not to send saws down and up all that much because that alone will wear me out. Once you get the saw in the cut, its not so bad.

MotherGoose

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Sooner or later your going to run into a tree thats going to need chunked out and your top handle ain't going to do the job. Me personally, I like blowing tops out with my 550xp and working the spar as far down as I can with it. Bigger saws in the tree are always cumbersome. I try not to send saws down and up all that much because that alone will wear me out. Once you get the saw in the cut, its not so bad.

Nothing quite like an 084 with a 42inch bar on spurs. But still better then trying to double cut with a smaller saw

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They get pretty big and tourque
I just can't wait to see hundreds of professional climbers buy 084, 088 and 880 saws to prune the top branches of a tree. Great professional advice, no doubt. Keep up the good work, guys.:mad:
Try some two lip pop lairs in DE on a nice mountain about a few hundred years old. You'll be rethinking that small saw after you get no where fast.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a buddy who is a trimmer use an 066 in the tree tops but usually from a bucket truck .He started out with a pick up truck with plywood sides a little Echo rear handle he used as a climber which I now own and a 54-56 cc Craftsman/Husqvarna .The Echo does okay,is light and has plenty of power .I've never used it in a tree though .I have used an ms 200T with a 16" bar from a bucket truck .The saw is souped and does okay running a 6 tooth with that bar . Although I've never done so I think that praticular saw running chisel could handle a 20" bar but I have none that fits it to try it out .
One thing is for sure .At 70 years old I'm a little long in the tooth to be stomping a tree in a set of hooks .My Bashlins are hanging in the shed and I doubt I'll ever again use them .However I can fly a bucket truck with the best of them .

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the input from all of you. Sounds like you guys have seen some cool stuff from time to time!

Typically at work I climb with an MS 201T-CM and when that won’t do it, a MS 362 CM comes next, and then a MS461, then a 660.. I’m mostly just quizzing thoughts about the 025/MS250 for the occasional climb after-hours. I would not climb with a 250 for production work by any means - and mostly because it’s not built to handle that regularly (both the AV system and also the engine/chassis).. With that said, I started going through the 025 I have this weekend. It’s getting new crank seals and a fuel system rebuild. I have made up my mind that I’m going to try it and use what I have until I can afford a 201T or equivalent for personal use.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I appreciate the input from all of you. Sounds like you guys have seen some cool stuff from time to time!

Typically at work I climb with an MS 201T-CM and when that won’t do it, a MS 362 CM comes next, and then a MS461, then a 660.. I’m mostly just quizzing thoughts about the 025/MS250 for the occasional climb after-hours. I would not climb with a 250 for production work by any means - and mostly because it’s not built to handle that regularly (both the AV system and also the engine/chassis).. With that said, I started going through the 025 I have this weekend. It’s getting new crank seals and a fuel system rebuild. I have made up my mind that I’m going to try it and use what I have until I can afford a 201T or equivalent for personal use.
I used a minty brand new PP295 and two bars for climbing. Hundred bucks on craigslist brand new in the case. It came with that junk oem 20" mini. I scored a used Oregon fourteen and a twenty in 325 for the first day back on my own job site. Just removing 40 ft nasty yellow pines in the summertime. It worked great.

Bought my 048 with a worn out fat nose 24" the next week. It did the ground work the following week on oaks. Borrowed a 192T for tops and trimmings the first month. Found a pair of 020aveT's and just kept going.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well after a busy summer, I finally finished the 025 rebuild today. Fired right up and only took marginal tuning of the H/L screws to be right. Tested it’s power in a 15” pine log with 63PS 55 chain on it - it has plenty of power for my off-ground needs! Pleasantly surprised by how quickly it starts also, which is an added bonus for starting in the tree for sure. Runs as good or better than other MS 250’s I’ve used in the past!