Cleaning gasket surface on 660 clone

Windsorman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi,

What's the best way to clean the case surfaces where the gaskets go? Those surfaces have oxidized a bit. Figured I'd clean them up carefully before assembling the saw. I've seen Matthew's method of using a die grinder with a scotchbrite wheel. Is that the best way? It seems a little aggressive but maybe it's the best way. I was thinking about running them across tempered glass with 1k paper. What about just using a green scotch brite pad freehand?

Thank you in advance for your advice,
Phil

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it isn't so bad that there's a hole eaten through it, I'd probably wipe off whatever is loose on the surface, and let the gasket or gasket maker do it's job. If the case halves are apart, then go ahead and use either scotch bright or a flap of fine grit (400) sand paper on a dremel. Maybe even a soft bristled brass brush rotary bit, the cone shaped ones are not as aggressive as the flat disk ones.

Windsorman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If it isn't so bad that there's a hole eaten through it, I'd probably wipe off whatever is loose on the surface, and let the gasket or gasket maker do it's job. If the case halves are apart, then go ahead and use either scotch bright or a flap of fine grit (400) sand paper on a dremel. Maybe even a soft bristled brass brush rotary bit, the cone shaped ones are not as aggressive as the flat disk ones.
Great advice! Thank you.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I often use very fine sand paper or scotch brite by hand, depending on how much stuff needs to be removed.

I like to assemble the case halves, with the gasket, dry. When I do a base gasket delete on the cylinder I of course use a sealer.

Also, WELCOME to the site … fellow New Yorker!