Cleaning chain before sharpening

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For Christmas I got a good CBN wheel that @Philbert had recommended. I know from being a machinist about keeping your wheels clean but I’m wondering does anyone give their chains a thorough cleaning before sharpening? I use a Q-tip to clean each cutter before sharpening but I’m considering an ultrasonic cleaner. Anybody do this or am I overthinking this.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 3L I bought for $30..I’d like to have a larger one but mine works great. If you’re like me you’ll eventually throw everything in it, just be careful with solvents..some of them are harsh on aluminum and discolor it quickly. For chains I use purple power. Ive gotten advice on solvents from guys way smarter than I am.. rattler and drf256 specifically. I would tell you to buy as big as you can afford, I think a 10L will submerge a cylinder or flywheel easily (mine won’t) which is very very handy.

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 3L I bought for $30..I’d like to have a larger one but mine works great. If you’re like me you’ll eventually throw everything in it, just be careful with solvents..some of them are harsh on aluminum and discolor it quickly. For chains I use purple power. Ive gotten advice on solvents from guys way smarter than I am.. rattler and drf256 specifically. I would tell you to buy as big as you can afford, I think a 10L will submerge a cylinder or flywheel easily (mine won’t) which is very very handy.
Not my favorite place but I looked at Harbor Freight and theirs didn’t impress me with the “quit working” reviews.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a4b5f08bd3eda22a366af7cb1a444fe1.png

This is the one I have..bought it at a local ‘scratch and dent/open box’ discount type store. I was skeptical but have learned to Iike it a lot..especially for chains and carbs.

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I soak my chains in kerosene while I'm cleaning the bar and installing a sharp chain. Then I blow them off and hang them on a nail while the rest of the kerosene evaporates. That leaves enough oil on them for indoor rust proofing but they're dry enough for clean hands.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never intentionally cleaned a loop in my life.

Before I shut down a saw I give it a high idle run to ensure the chain is soaked in oil, makes the best protective layer there is against corrosion.
This also ensures enough oil in the rails to allow seepage to the bars sprocket bearing for lubrication.

But, I don't grind my chains nor do I utilize multiple loops per saw which places my utilization and experience into another category.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll give them a rinse in mineral spirits or paint thinner. That will get the worst off. Sometimes a noodleing cut will really clean up the crusty brownish sap deposit on the top of the tooth. My chains don't rust, so it isn't something I worry about.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I soak in Purple Power or Simple Green diluted a little bit with HOT water. Then a toof brush to clean off what ever is left. Then a thorough rinse in hot water. Hang dry for a few then hit w/ WD or Boeshield.
EDIT: I wouldn't WD or lube it pre sharpening.

Milling is really tough on chain. The heat bakes on a lot of gum/pitch/sap etc.

justoldsaws

From the land downunder
Local time
8:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use my cleaner all the time, from saw parts to ammo bullet cases, great bit of gear.
For chains though before is sharpen them I just drop them into regular mix that I run the saw on, you'll be surprised how much crud comes off a used chain.
Dry and then sharpen

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Media blaster with crushed corn cob- then naptha wash , let dry and sharpen quick misting of light oil- back to customer - I do this commercially.

Huntaholic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good Lord! Im glad none of yall work for me! We wouldn't ever get &^& done with all the cleaning, brushing, soaking, oiling, etc.... When a saw gets dull, sharpen it and get back to work! If its excessively oily or loaded down with sap, I will make a cut or 2 to clean it up and sharpen it. In the interest of full disclosure, I use my saws to make a living and a chain never has time or lasts long enough to rust.

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When sharpening in a vice i spray brake clean on the cutters and file away. It helps to keep the bar oil off the file. When I’m done I fire it up piss rev the crap out of it to oil the chain and life is good.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . does anyone give their chains a thorough cleaning before sharpening? .

I was reminded the other day why I hate grinding dirty chains. Had a batch I cleaned, and threw on a couple that were not that bad. Clean chains ground easy. Oily chains smoked - had to keep checking that I was not overheating the cutters, Gunked up my AO wheels too.

My cleaning process is described here:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philbert-meets-the-stihl-rs3.202969/

If you are doing your own chains, you know what you have. When you sharpen other peoples' chains, there can be lots of surprises under the gunk (see photos in that thread).

Philbert

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score