Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If choosing between .325 chains, which one between the two do you believe would be the best performer? $20 for the LGX, $25 for the SP33G

Oregon 20LGX that has a single conventional raker?
images

OR

Husky X-Cut SP33G, that has a double bumper?

images

Last edited:

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The single bumper lgx will be much easier to get to cut the way you want it to. I hate safety chain (double bumpers). Very hard to get the depth of your cut dialed in. I own one safety chain that was included with a saw I bought recently. I thought I had the double bumpers down where they wouldn't be a problem but I cut with it today and the chain was still bouncing off the wood at times. Came home and took them down some more. We'll see how it cuts next time out. Not a fan of safety chain at all...

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
5:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with the Col. @Colonel 428. Not a fan of that double bumper safety chain either. Initially it cuts ok but after sharpening it doesn't self feed as well as LGX or Stihl RS style all else being equal.

Most also consider stock safety chain very poor for performing bore type cuts....which may be a consideration for you.

Fwiw I'm cutting mostly softwood and the occasional birch.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have of couple of the Husqvarna X cut chains. They cut very well. I would pick it over Oregon every day of the week.

Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a shame the x-cut in .325 is not offered in a C83 style cutter. Also I believe the SP33 is semi-chisel which is fine if needed.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a shame the x-cut in .325 is not offered in a C83 style cutter. Also I believe the SP33 is semi-chisel which is fine if needed.
Yes, it's semi. It cuts very well and is smoother than stihl chain. It's all I run now on my 545 with the narrow kerf bar. On that saw there is not enough clearance to run a regular kerf chain with the narrow kerf bar.

Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
23RS , I ment
Yeah I run 26rs on the ms261. Just looking for an alternative for some LPX I run on the 550.
Sorry just rambling since cuttin seasons been over for me. Muh brain is bored. Lol
Looks like I can get LGX loops for around $19 bucks.

Last edited:

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a side note, I love the x cut chain. It's the fastest cutting out of the box chain I've ever ran due to the unique top plate profile. But, once you sharpen it a couple of times it becomes just another chain. But as I mentioned above there's no way I would knowingly choose to buy a safety chain over single bumper chain. I've actually been running Forester chain in .325 and like it a lot. Sawsalvage.co carries it and I want to say it's $14 for an 18", 72 dl loop.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Single bumper going forward all the way.

Just purchased a loop last year and got to it just now.

Hoping that what Steve @Stump Shot told us about Oregon will not translate into a quality drop.

325 single bumper, square cut, backed up by the little puff puff 346 @Mastermind power plant.

Seven year dry, drier than bone, two to three foot logs that did not fit my splitter.

Bi-product makes for a good fire wood starter.

An absolute joy ... would be a complete understatement.

picture (361).jpg

picture (358).jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran 4 1/2 tanks of fuel/oil through my PS-550 yesterday bucking fresh beech and hornbeam - pulling a Husqvarna X-Cut 3/8" full chisel loop.
Could have spent the fifth tank too, but I needed a longer bar so I switched saws.

So far X-Cut is a good chain for me, better than RS.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to give big O' X a try next time I run into my dealership.

The LGX/EXL seem to be very easy on the double bevel files that I discussed in the square cut forum.

Do you guys see less degradation on the tooth per tank, when pitting the LGX vs X-cut in roughly the same species of wood?

Hmmmm .... can we now send double bevel files to Mr. @Wilhelm now that Croatia is part of Shenghen?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to give big O' X a try next time I run into my dealership.

The LGX/EXL seem to be very easy on the double bevel files that I discussed in the square cut forum.

Do you guys see less degradation on the tooth per tank, when pitting the LGX vs X-cut in roughly the same species of wood?

Hmmmm .... can we now send double bevel files to Mr. @Wilhelm now that Croatia is part of Shenghen?
I ran LGX and X-Cut in the same log pile.
X-Cut held up longer without touchups compared to LGX.
X-Cut = 4 tanks of fuel vs. LGX = 2 tanks of fuel.

Although, in all fairness the X-Cut ran on a factory stock Dolmar PS-550 while the LGX ran on a ported Makita EA5000 XS.
In my humble experience higher in cut chain speed will cause faster dulling of the chain!!!

FWIW, I am loving Oregon chains, but this one X-Cut I am utilizing extensively is making me want to buy more of them - very very good chain!

Double bevel files, as in square filing?
I got no time for that and even less patience to learn it.
My AMA Maxx Pro grinder is a blessing no matter how sloppy it is!

But thank You for the thought!
:beer-toast1:

P.S.:
Shipping something/anything to Croatia was never a issue.
The cost of shipping anything TO Croatia is high though, and that didn't change a bit!