Cheap MS660 velocity stack

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This may be well known but it wasn't to me, I wanted to put a Uni filter on my 660 clone and was contemplating making an adaptor when I ran across a some cheap adaptors for pocket bikes with the correct bolt spacing. I ordered a 44mm OD one off Amazon and bored out the intake hole to the correct size. You can find them for around $8-$10.

ghhhj.jpg ghjk.jpg

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to add that I had to use an end mill bit and enlarge the countersunk holes so that I could use the flanged nuts and also so that I could get a socket on them.

Last edited:

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to add that I had to use an end mill bit and enlarge the countersunk holes so that I could use the flanged nuts and also so that I could get a socket on them.
I dunno how many saws this holds true on, but on my 048 I unscrewed the studs and installed a set of Husky 61 intake bolts. They were the right length and worked perfectly. I'm not sure if you could get away with that on a plastic saw, but it'll work well on mag tanks.

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Ronie that is awesome!! Very well done, if I read this a week ago I'd be ordering right now LOL!! Subsequent "data chasing" on filters, and I'm very open to correction here, but my impression is you get about 2% gain going from a clean OEM hd2 setup, to a new Maxi setup. BUT... Maxi's get dirty quicker, ergo it's fair to presume their efficacy drops and that 2% is lost, no? Furthermore, a Maxi setup comparison isn't "filter versus filter" it changes the airbox, something I've always held needed more air (I carve & screen windows in my boxes), anyways I found a youtube of someone comparing regular, to hd2 with a cut-box, to maxi (which always has a cut-box), and the hd2 with cut-box was way closer to the maxi (IE the implication being it's the open box, not foam element, making Maxi's 2% HP gains on a 660)

Great looking setup, now that I finished building my top-end on "boy blue" big bore (99.5/125/81, sqsh 24.25thuo, no freeport by over 1mm) am scouring this sub for new tricks and finding so much, your threads are full of awesomeness I gotta ask do you do this for a living or just have an awesome shop that lets you play the way you do? You'd cringe seeing how I remove 3thou from a band, or 10 from a base (I have a depth gauge though and am not going outta true or hurting plating so if it works, it works ;D )

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
BTW want to clarify 2 things "in case":

#1 -- I would certainly "go foam" over HD2 if price were identical, but so far as I can see I'm better-off having a pile of a dozen fresh HD2's to swap liberally, than cleaning my $60 HiFlo setup... the price difference for the sub-2% gain of foam should be percentages, not magnitudes, but am actually still seeking "raw foam" 60-ish porosity because if you had a block of that you could simply make infinite filters, I mean for me "going foam" means several 660's, a couple 2511's, and then looking at my other saws cussing them out for not being popular enough to have premade foams available ;D OK guess the 590 does, so I'd be a couple hundo $ in for pre-cut's...

#2 -- When I speak of "cut air boxes", the airbox casing has that 'lip' that mates to the carb 'wall', and Stihl has 3 ports of entry (and ask you to block 1 of them), anyways when I speak of "opened & filtered" I mean large DIY Frog-Skinz type openings like this:
20211215_141445_HDR.jpg
(I use cheeseclothe-type paper filter media on the inside-facings, typically w/ 5-min-epoxy or a glue-gun, the 5min epoxy works better IMO and while yes it's easy to swap-out these papers it's surprisingly easy to just clean them, can't recall the last time I had to swap one even on my daily use climbsaws)

BTW @Ronie if you didn't already opt for one of those (sexy,overpriced, small inner-area) XL clutch-covers, you can actually mod the OEM quite effectively:
20220407_201205.jpg
OEM cover has 25mm of lateral space from powerhead, and a >4mm flared bottom that flares inwards & outwards equally. You can use a flap-disk and basically flatten the inner a bit, you never make anything under 1mm thick or anything but you gain over 2mm which is 10% lateral increase, also the OEM chip-flaps are large & chunky - and bigger on the XL covers - you can make them easily or, as I ended up doing (not pictured) simply take the OEM, mount the top peg-hole onto the bottom peg, cut-off whatever excess protrusion you do not want, epoxy to bottom peg & grind-off top peg, now you've got a much larger internal area as well as 'exit area' ;)

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just play around with saws as a hobby, I was a truck driver until a few years ago but sold my trucks and now I just take care of my kids.

I sure miss driving but I need to be close to home because of some medical issues my son has.

Wish I would have kept that truck.

DSC00294.JPG

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just play around with saws as a hobby, I was a truck driver until a few years ago but sold my trucks and now I just take care of my kids.

I sure miss driving but I need to be close to home because of some medical issues my son has.

Wish I would have kept that truck.

View attachment 333802
WOW that is awesome!! My father drove (still does small stuff) and my younger (slacker)brother is wanting(being pushed)into trucking right now actually (is demand really as crazy as they're making it out to be, generally? How do insiders see the "conundrum" of upcoming "auto-pilot" vehicles against and industry that, right now, is seeking to draw more people in to work it?)

More awesome hardware will come along but you know that ;D My buddy just got an awesome basic lift truck a few weeks ago for about 6k and needed under 2k work it's operational now, so...not-at-all-jealous!!!

Glad to hear your priorities are proper, life deals some ridiculously unfair hands :/ Wish you & yours all the best man!!!